Options

Temporary paint for silicone?

I was wondering if anyone knows how to temporarily paint a silicone prosthetic? 
I have a silicone chest for male cosplays. It is already painted the right skin tone, but some characters I would like to cosplay have chest scars or tattoos. Is there a type of paint that sticks to silicone and can be washed off like a body paint? I'm new to working with silicone, so any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

• Options
    Micah J.Micah J. ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If I am prototyping a paint job on a new silicone part, I will use alcohol based make-ups just a visual aid. After a while they will begin to flake off, even with a sealer. For something more "permanent", I will work up and encapsulated wound or feature, adhere it to the silicone skin with silicone based adhesives and then paint that with alcohol based paints. Avoid two part silicone wound gels like Skin-Tite from Smooth On as I've had them become actually permanent.
    For something cheap and quick, check out Christian Tinsley's 3D FX Transfers and temporary tattoos, they work great on silicone and are easy to apply and remove. 

Answers

• Options
    By nature, silicone is difficult for other materials to bond with, which is why it's typically painted with colored silicone.  You could paint it with acrylics, PAX paint, or alcohol-activated makeup and remove it later, but chances are most of it would rub/flake off too fast for you to get much use out of it.  I've never tried temporary painting of silicone, and have not heard of anyone trying it before. 

Anyone here try this before?

/Chris