something about rod and hand puppets

hello there I have a few questions: 1.if i want to do a foam latex rod puppet,like the one from "how to make a monster puppet", can i follow the tutorial and just switch silicone with foam latex?or may the mold and the resin head core will have bad reaction with the foam latex while baking?would be better to do an ultracal mold? 2.if i want to do a latex hand puppet,like the one from "garage monsters 2", and i want it to have a body with limbs and a tail how do i mold it?

Best Answer

Answers

• edited August 2017
    Post edited by Gary Wetherilt on
  • Hey guys for the how to make a monster puppet have you been able to use different silicone than gi245 silicone moldmaking rubber (catalyst)? The closet I can find is
    Rtv Silicone Mold Making Casting Rubber 1/2 Gallon Kit. 

• Hi Sam,

You should be fine using different brands and types of silicone to make your mold. Just make sure you are using a durometer (firmness) of silicone that will work for your mold's needs, and if you are using a platinum or tin cure silicone some properties (like what inhibits the cure) may change.

/Chris
  • Hey @Chris Ellerby do you think I'd be able to make a similar puppet as in the rod puppet course using RD 407 mask making latex instead of silicone?
  • You can use latex as a skin, but it will not stretch very much and you would likely need to back it with something like polyfoam to prevent it from buckling.  If you have enough thickness to the skin to prevent it from wearing or tearing it will likely be too thick to have much movement.  But that also depends on the design of your character and how you expect it to move.  Latex will also degrade over time.

/Chris
  • GhoulieGhoulie
    edited January 2021
    Found a cool one on YouTube. In the comments section the creator says it was made with latex and upholstery foam. I'd like to make something similar 

https://youtu.be/Jxz2g7DwPKA