Options

Any tips on cleaning Van Aken Clay?

Well, the first part of the mold for my Hellboy right hand of doom has been successfully made
However, I’m having some issues; the clay has not been wanting to come up that easy. I’m going to continue trying to scrub it off with a Toothbrush, but do you guys have any tips on this kind of Work?

Comments

• Options
    Plastalina clays can be removed using a few methods.  First step is to try and remove as much as possible manually, usually using wooden tools (bbq skewers, tung depressors, wooden sculpting tools, etc) and stiff brushes.  

To help clean out the final details you can use a solvent and a brush to scrub everything out.  Just make sure the solvent is not going to damage your mold material.   Different solvents will soften the clay differently, so you may need to experiment to find what works best for you.  Options include 99% isopropyl alcohol, NOVOCS from Smooth-On, Naptha, Mineral Spirits, Turpentine, Lighter Fluid, Some citrus cleaners, etc.

You can also use temperature to help remove the clay.  Freezing the clay using a can of air duster turned upside down can make it firmer, which often helps pull out bigger chunks without them breaking.  A heat gun can make the clay softer so you can scrape it out easier or make it more susceptible to solvents.  Just don't overheat your mold if it's made of a material that can warp or deform with too much heat.

If anyone else has suggestions, please chime in!

/Chris