Ugly Betty !

Carlos GomezCarlos Gomez ✭✭
edited February 2020 in Horror Character Contest
Here is Ugly Betty and her new friend that erupted from the depths of her pores! 

Full head latex mask I made, I was inspired by the work of Horror Manga Artist Junji Itto and the special effects from the movie The Thing by John Carpenter.  
Modeled by @AlyPaji on Instagram 

This mask was created especially for the Stan Winston Horror Character Contest! 

Here is a close up of the mask. 

The originally sculpture was sculpted in a red ceramic clay I was unable to obtain WED clay so this was my next best alternative. 

After making a 2 part mold in plaster and casting the mask in latex I trimmed and patched it using more latex and cotton this would help me hide my mistakes from earlier. 

I painted the mask with latex mixed with acrylic paint and water, I used a spatter technique and painted the mask in washes of color. I enhanced the red later on with a small amount of fake blood. 

This is the mask before adding the fine details like veins in the eyes and highlights on the mutated face, this was also the first time i punched hair into a latex mask hence the doll like hairline, I would like to practice this more in the future. 

The final mask was given some last minute paint touch up and epoxy on the naturally wet areas to make it look more realistic. I also permanently attached the glasses for future use, I was originally going to use real braces but I could not find a way to attach them. (Please ignore my messy desk) 

Thank you so much for reading through all this and taking the time to view my entry please follow me on instagram to view more of my work! :)@carlosgomezfx