Reef Creatures - Entry#1: Giant Moray Eel Bust

Over the last few months I had the opportunity to sculpt some very impressive reef creatures for a diorama that will portray a pacific coral reef in the Natural History Museum Senckenberg in Frankfurt, Germany.

With every model I make for this specific project I try to not only build an ambassador for its particular species but also to show an individual with its own personality, and even beauty and charm (especially the giant moray eel, that I really learned to love like a cute old granny by working on it).

Studying these sea creatures with all their gestures, facial expressions and unbelievable colors and patterns left me in respect, affection and wonder.

Here is my attempt to do it justice.

Giant Moray Eel Bust
The giant moray eel (Gymnothorax javanicus) can reach a total length of 3 meters.
That is why I decided to only sculpt the head – which will be stretching out of its den menacingly, once the reef diorama is finished.

The base body is carved out of PU, followed by a rough layer of air-hardening clay. The detailed outer layer is made of Apoxy sculpt that is colored with mixed media.

Eery eel fact: Did you know that moray eels have a second set of jaws in their throat that reach forward into the mouth, seize prey and drag it back for swallowing? - very Alien-esque...

Comments