Armature Help - Creatures with Limbs and a Tail.

Hi,

What is best way to create an armature if you're doing a creature with a tail and legs? Is it best to work out the body with the legs and then add a tail or do the main body with the tail and add the back legs to the main frame afterwards?

Also, would you twist the two wires together for the tail ... like Casey Love does in his web course, as he sculpts the Medusa??https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/tutorials/how-to-sculpt-a-creature-maquette-sculpting-techniques-part-1

I'm not sure which is the best way of doing it. 
TIA
Gem

Comments

• Hi Gem,

When I do armatures I like to have every appendage (legs, arms tails, etc) as part of the armature right from the start.  That can also help with finding poses for the character before you even begin adding clay. 

You would want to twist the wires, or wrap additional wires just to give the armature a bit more surface detail for the clay to hang onto.

/Chris
  • Thanks Chris.

But what I want to know is should I add the tail on after I've done the main body and legs or should I make the tail part of the main body structure and add the back legs to the armature separately?