Options

Makeup Based on H.P. Lovecraft's 'The Call of Cthulhu'. First entry.

This makeup was a personal project I conducted with a team of actors and filmmakers to create a short film based on Lovecraft's book 'The Call of Cthulhu'. After reading the story, I wanted to find out more about the authors life and was shocked by some of the emotional abuse he had to suffer at the hands of his own mother and how these experiences led him to suffer from night terrors, which are a key theme in his stories. Therefore I created a film that told the story of Lovecraft's own life and how he came up with his stories, highlighting the close connection he had to his stories, focusing on Cthulhu in particular. This is the makeup i created via sculpting, moulding and applying to my actor who also played Lovecraft in the film. The face and tentacles are made out of silicone and the back of the head and neck piece are made out of foam latex. The tentacles had clear UV paint on them to suggest bioluminescence, bringing attention to the deep depths of the ocean where the character lives.