About animatronics building

Hello!

Sometime ago I found this site and I think is really awesome and practical, you do a really great job here!!

I have some questions abour animatronics and how to move a full size one. What do you usually use to move one? pnemautics? hydraulis? or electromechanics? Have you ever use hydraulics to make one? What are the pros and cons of each one?

Thanks!

Comments

• David DeMattiaDavid DeMattia ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Hi. Size is relative. How big? How heavy? Your question is very broad. If you look at the T-Rex on Jurasic Park in, it used hydraulics because of its size..
     Hydraulics add complexity and cost. Most of us here use servos of various sizes. How are you controlling it? Puppeting or Automation. Each has their implications.

As for pros/cons, depends on the project and your budget (In general, Hydraulics on the high end, servos on the low.). Film or an amusement park. Realistic . I would recommend going through the animatronics and On Demand course forums to review others experiences. AND the courses themselves are fantastic. If you are a beginner, I would recommend Richard Landon's Animatronics Design Basics and Tentacle classes. Also, doing an animatronic search on YouTube has been helpful to me.

Good Luck!

David
  • Hi!
    Thanks for the reply!

I want to make a human-size animatronic (6 ft) but only the upper body is going to move (arms, hands, head and rib cage). I'm going to use VSA software to make the movement routine. And I don't think use hydraulics in a project like this could be a good idea, but I want to be sure before move forward.

And thanks I'm going to check the forums and the courses.

Greetings!!!