





My name is Herman Silesky, I live in Costa Rica, a beautiful country but with a very small visual and special FX industry. However, I think I’ve been really lucky; of my 35 years I’ve spent 16 working as an animator and lead 3d modeler in Marte Studio, one of the most important animation studios in the region.
After many years of digitally modeling all kinds of objects and characters, and then, subscribing to the Stan Winston School of Character Arts, the need for learning to model and build things with my hands and out of the computer, was compelling to say the least. Now I’m finishing a career in fine arts specializing in sculpture and my next goal is to be involved in the production of audio-visual content, but using my skills to make practical FX.
Old Bones mask project.
In the final stages of my fine arts studies, I had to write a small thesis related to the specialization of the career, in my case it was sculpture. I’ve always meant to apply what I learn to the audio-visual production industry, so I wrote the dissertation about the sculpture techniques used in that industry. The last chapter of the thesis was a catalogue of some pieces of my own making with the purpose of using them for visual and special FX. And that's how this project came to be. I wanted to create a character that had to survive in a wasteland, so he needed to have some equipment to help him do that, survive. The mask instills fear on enemies and protects him of the sun, wind and sandstorms.
The inspiration and technical know-how came out in a big deal, thanks to the Stan Winston School’s lesson of how to make a wearable mask, imparted by Bruce D. Mitchell.
I hope you like how it came out, and that it inspires you to make your own pieces.
Many thanks to the Stan Winston School of Character Arts for giving me this space, and the opportunity to share my story and work.