Options

Mold making with Hydrocal and a PLA 3D Printed part?

edited June 2016 in General
Was wondering if anyone has had any experience making a mother mold with hydrocal on a 3d printed object (PLA)? If so are there any tips or recommendations? I was watching the tutorial with Timothy Martin and it kinda gave me the idea and was wondering if it would work using smooth-on 65D to make the final product. Are the two compatible?

I'm doing a 3D printed Iron man and looking for a more cost effective methods in making molded parts from it. The silicone method unfortunately seems to be a bit more expensive.
Post edited by Tim Osullivan on

Comments

• Options
    It's possible, but there are a few challenges.  Normally when molding and casting rigid parts you want a flexible mold, so the parts can be de-molded.  With a stone mold like Ultracal or Hydrocal you might not be able to get your parts (or the original form) out of the mold.

I've molded 3D printed pieces before, but only ever with silicone.  I only ever use stone molds when working with latex or foam latex.  Silicone is expensive, but it's hard to find an alternative.  Tin cure silicones are cheaper than platinum silicones, and you might be able to find a cheaper urethane rubber.

Also, Hydrocal is normally used for latex and foam latex casting because of its porous nature.  It wicks away moisture helping the latex to dry.  When making stone molds for other applications I would suggest Ultracal as it is a bit more durable.

/Chris
  • Options
    Thanks Chris, guess I will look into the normal silicone mold.  Appreciate the pointers.

Tim