Very new to this.

hello everyone I am very new to sculpting and after watching a few of the maquette sculpting videos i decided to take some of my monster clay and give it a go.  I was wondering if there are any ideas i could use for texture because it just seems empty to me.  I may try to resculpt it in sculpy as i will be able to keep it for ever when I'm done.  thank you for looking

Comments

• Chris EllerbyChris Ellerby Los Angeles Admin
    Looking great Tyler!

As for texture, I would try doing some basic skin texture and wrinkles.  I suggest using a technique Don Lanning calls "The Power of the X" which you can learn about in this lesson:

https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/tutorials/sculpture-techniques-how-to-sculpt-textures-and-forms

/Chris
  • Yeah, very good for your first sculptureI've been trying monster clay for the first time as well lately and have found that if I keep a small space heater going next to the sculpture (Not to hot!!! It will start to melt) it's accepts details and texture a lot easier. Also you can try odorless mineral spirits to feather and soften the clay. I like to apply it heavily, let set for a few minutes then apply again before texturing. Stuart Bray also has some really nice tutorials on YouTube 

• thanks you very much!!  This isn't my first sculpting but my first at this scale i should have said.  I don't have a lot of sculpting experience though.  We can call it one of my firsts haha.

I have watched all these videos.   They are great thank you all for the help and ill try to apply them 

• Thomas van der VeerThomas van der Veer Gelderland - Nijmegen ✭✭✭
    Good Job!