Homework - Jamie-reine Mazlin

Hi Jamie,

Please post your homework & ask questions on this forum!

Comments

• Mastering Marionettes - Design, Construction & Performance with Scott Land

HOMEWORK

• Rod Joint
    • Fabric Joint
    • Cord installed in head
    • Body ready for stringing 
    • Head as far along as you can

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Idea - Sock Thief

Description - "Sock Thief"

Another creature belonging to the closet demon family. How ever unlike the Werewolf Pup, the Sock Thief does not feed on the fear of humans. Rather it feeds on dirty socks and unwanted things. 

Although a shy and harmless creature, take warning in never calling a Sock Thief a "thief". It likes to think it only takes what you don't need and it can't see any reason in you needing two socks of the same kind. If however you choose to offend a Sock Thief, don't be surprised if your more valuable things and things you frequently use start to go missing.

Rod Joint - In back legs, though I took artistic liberty and designed my own rod joint to work with my puppet. 

Fabric Joint - In shoulders, arms, ears and ankles. 

Cord installed in head - Yes, a strong cord rope is installed in the head with a lot spear as requested.

Body ready for stringing - Body is fully ready to be strung and all joints are installed and working well.

• Left paw has a hidden magnet which allows it to pick up a sock with a hidden magnet in it as well. 
    • Accessory of hessian shoulder bag that opens and rope 

Head as far along as you can - Head is pretty much done, as it only needs to be strung, attached to body and have the back of the head added. 

• Jaw opens and closed and I decided to try out a weighted mecanisme with it. 
    • Eyes open and close on spring mechanisms. Though I went my own way with the mechanism as I wanted to use they eyeballs I already make. The difference from what we were shown is that the eyelids move rather than the eyeballs themselves. 

Video link -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t41oqcPZDG0

• Mastering Marionettes - Design, Construction & Performance with Scott Land

Assessment

• Description
    • Rod Joint
    • Fabric Joint
    • Eye Mechanism
    • Mouth Mechanism
    • Hand controller
    • Extra features 
    • Notes
    • Short Film
    • Photos and Description sheet
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Idea - Sock Thief

Description - "Sock Thief"
    Another creature belonging to the closet demon family. How ever unlike the Werewolf Pup, the Sock Thief does not feed on the fear of humans. Rather it feeds on dirty socks and unwanted things. 
    Although a shy and harmless creature, take warning in never calling a Sock Thief a "thief". It likes to think it only takes what you don't need and it can't see any reason in you needing two socks of the same kind. If however you choose to offend a Sock Thief, don't be surprised if your more valuable things or things you frequently use start to go missing.

Rod Joint - In back legs, though I took artistic liberty and designed my own rod joint to work with my puppet. 

Fabric Joint - In shoulders, arms, ears and ankles. 

Eye Mechanism -  Eyes open and close on spring Mechanism. Though I went my own way with the mechanism as I wanted to use the eyeballs I already make. The difference from what we were shown is that the eyelids move rather than the eyeballs themselves. 

Mouth Mechanism - Jaw opens and closes. I decided to try out a weighted Mechanism with it. 

Hand Control - I have worked from what we were shown in lesson 2, but have added a new control. The arms move on the free paddle control as we were shown and the body moves the same as we were shown as well. The change I made was to the ears, I designed my own pull control to allow me to make the ears twitch. They can twitch together or separate.  

Extra Features - There is a magnet in the left paw which allows the puppet to pick up a prop sock or any metal object. I have also added a utility bag that has rope, a working grab claw, safety pins, scissors, an old entrance ticket and hessian bag. All have been aged to look old and well used. 

Notes- Photos are linked below as well as a short film. I have also made a description sheet for the puppet as I make one for all my creatures. I would also like to thank Scott Land and all the staff at Stan Winston School. This course was just what I needed to further my skills into puppetry. Next I will be studying the on demand course "Cable Mechanism Basics" and I am really looking forward to making my next creature from what I learn.  

Video link ( Short Film "The Sock Thief" ) -  https://youtu.be/XhYsNUNvaHU