Options

Robots: Design to fabrication

Hey guys, my name is Chris Hamburger and I'm a freelance sculptor in the entertainment industry (or trying to be...). Hard surface sculpting is my passion, so as soon as I saw this contest I knew I had to enter. Each one of the three following were fully designed, hand-sculpted, molded, cast, fabricated, and painted by me. Like I said, I reeeeaaaallly love this kind of stuff.

The first design is a helmet piece for a proof of concept a friend of mine is making. He wanted the design to be very reminiscent of "The Iron Giant". I was very happy to oblige.

The second and third pieces are also designs of my own that I made (from clay to resin) to, honestly, just make. Idle hands accomplish nothing...

Love robots. Love, love, love 'em. Fingers crossed about the contest, but if I don't win, then I hope, at least, someone is inspired by what they see, take to the grind stone and start making something of their own.

Rock on amigos!

Comments

• Options
    Very cool!

/Chris
  • Options
    Thanks man.
  • Options
    very cool, seems retro futuristic
  • Options
    That's pretty much my favorite style when I design things like this.
  • Options
    Wonderful designs!Very inspiring!
  • Options
    Hearing that makes everything worth it.
  • Options
    very cool
  • Options
    Really great work.
    Could you tell us what materials you used for his fellow?
  • Options
    Hey David,
    All of the pieces were sculpted in Monster Clay. I've experimented with different types of clay, but I find MC works best for my type of application. After sculpting, the pieces are molded and cast. Now, depending on what the piece is being used for, i.e. display or performance, I will choose a material which suits the needs. I can use epoxy, polyurethane, or polyester resins. Hope this helps you out man.
  • Options
    Certainly does :)
    I have been looking at different clays. My last major piece was done in WED clay, but I am looking at Monster for the next project :)
  • Options
    That´s some kickass work. I love it.
  • Options
    Thanks man, I love what I do.
  • Options
    This is what it's all about. You do what I do. So happy to see this!
  • Options
    Keeping it old school. Huzzah!
  • Options
    Not much to say but keep on keeping on. Have to agree with previous comments.
  • Options
    Thanks Ian.

• Options
    Wow! I'm starting a course in composite materials in 2 months where i'll learn molding and that kind of stuff. After, i'd love to start making helmets and props too. Very inspiring stuff you got here!!
  • Options
    Awesome to hear man. Let me know if you have any questions about anything along the way.
  • Options
    Hi Chris.  Fantastic design and fabrication work!  After molding your pieces, are they slush cast with materials?
  • Options
    Love the design of your work!
  • Options
    Wow, great work. You should do a Stan Winston class on this!