Sustainability in the SFX community? Is it a thing?

I'm currently a fashion student, but I have always been interested in SFX in many ways. I am particularly interested in silicone casting for prosthetics and animatronics (I was heavily invested in the behind-the-scenes of Jurassic Park, for example).  
I am currently working in a fashion pathway called sustainable systems, which focuses on finding holes or areas of improvement within existing systems. These typically involve topics such as inclusivity, colonization, and climate change, to name a couple. I want to know more about what happens with silicone casts or prosthetics after they have fulfilled their purpose. Are these discarded? Recycled? Does the SFX community even have a problem with sustainability/ a large carbon footprint, given that it can be very niche? Have studios thought about these topics in recent years, given the ecological state of the planet (either in large or small capacities)? 
I would also be interested in hearing if there were any problems regarding sexism and racial or gender inclusivity within the industry. While I was researching the history of SFX, I noticed it was predominantly cis white men, and I am curious if this is still the primary bulk of the workforce.

I know these are rather large questions, but I am having a hard time finding any answers without directly interviewing individuals or simply trying to DM them over various platforms. Any info anyone has would be deeply appreciated!

Kind regards,
Christopher M.

Comments

• When I was in university, one of my courses involved planning a research topic, as if we were to do a postgraduate degree. For my topic, I looked at ways of recycling waste FDM 3D printing filament. This is something I'm curious about, as I frequently 3D print and I'm always looking to reduce the impact I have on the environment.

Unfortunately, it was hard to find some good news. While plastics like PLA are made from plant ingredients (like corn starch), they don't break down very easily, even in industral composts. And while scrap can be melted down and re-made into filament, there comes a point where after so many "life-cycles", that the plastic starts to lose the materialistic properties that make it unique in the first place.

One thing that I am glad to see, though are companies that use recycled cardboard spools (the roll the filament comes on) instead of plastic ones, or reusable spools, where you can buy the filament seperately and load it onto the spool.

Fortunately, because of the growing rate of 3D printing, people are constantly looking into ways to reduce, reuse and recycle.
  • That's really good to know then, I was also planning on looking into 3D printing and those impacts as obviously its used more than clay recently (to my knowledge) in the process of silicone casting for props, masks and other items. Thank you for the input!
  • To be honest. Its NOT a thing...unless someone "makes " it one. Alot of us are independent artists and are not looking to complicate our work with issues that have been mentioned...People of ALL colors and sexual orientations are SFX workers/hobbyists we are here to learn and help one another with working with materials and techniques and such
  • Hi Christopher,

Fantastic topic!

Sustainability and environmental impact are topics that shops (large and small) think of, but in practice, it can be difficult in an industry that relies on so many chemicals and expendable materials.

One way that some shops help reduce waste, and save money, is to cut up their old silicone molds and use them as filler in larger mold voids when pouring up new silicone molds.

Being mindful of how many mixing containers, gloves, shop towels, etc. you use is also important, as processes like mold making, casting, and painting can produce a lot of waste.

As far as social issues like inclusivity, the industry used to be very male-dominated, but thankfully many shops are making efforts to correct this and promote diversity.  Like any industry, this can vary from location to location, department to department, etc.  I'm happy to say that many of my special effects artist friends are a wonderfully diverse group, but I can't say how common that is.

Again, great topic, and thanks for posting it!

/Chris
  • There is a lot of diversity as far as I know. I know many SFX artists that are part of the LGBTQ+ community. 

I myself am a trans woman making silicone masks and being accepted for what I am was not a problem either with my customers, followers or other artists I've been in contact with since the beginning. I came out publicly last summer and was surprised by how positively people reacted. So I believe it's a lot more inclusive than before :)