Large Tentacle Advice

ScenarioScenario
edited September 28 in Animatronics
Hi, brand new here, making my first tentacle mechanism. Loved the tutorial with Richard Landon. My idea is for a body puppet that has a fairly large 4-way tentacle that goes vertically over the actor's head, with an eye on the end of it adding some weight. So tentacle itself will be about 3 ft long, eye will be a 10 or 12" painted acrylic dome, lightweight ripstop nylon fabric for skin. 

Since this is my first time I'd love advice on materials and sizing so that its plenty strong, yet as lightweight as possible since will be carried by actor via backpack. May decide to do 2 stage for more nuanced maneuverability.
Will need to withstand wear and tear over time.

Questions:
*Is spedometer cable strong enough for such a large, upright, weighted tentacle? If not what other materials are better?
*I have read on some forum posts that you don't need to anchor each disc to the center cable, can just use spacers in between -is this true? What disadvantages come with this shortcut?
*How large diameter do vertebrae discs need to be?
*Cable sizing - how large do I need to go?
*Disc material - will delrin or nylon hold up for heavy use? Can I use acrylic or whatever is around and just glue to speedometer cable?
*Advice where to buy Delrin, Nylon, the internet is confusing!
*What pitfalls should I be aware of making a large tentacle with weight on the end? 
*Any advice appreciated!

Thank you so much
Scenario
Post edited by Scenario on

Comments

• Sounds like a fun project.

A two-stage design would be good, as the second stage can focus on moving the weight of the eye, and not the weight of the entire tentacle.

Speedometer cable should work for you.

You can use free-floating spacers, but any slop may result in having to pull the cable more to get the desired movement and reduce accuracy a bit.

The size of the discs will be determined by your unique design.  

For cable size, you just need to be thick enough to handle the weight you will be moving, thicker cable is stronger, but also weighs more meaning you have to apply more force.

Delrin or Nylon would be better than acrylic, as they are less brittle.  If you have any are of movement that you are worried about the cable cutting in, you can use a brass bushing, where the cable passes through.   For purchasing these materials, you can look for a local plastics supplier, otherwise the internet may be your best bet.

As far as pitfalls, the most common issue I see with tentacles is caused by not understanding how much force may be required to move some tentacle designs.  Leverage in your controller will be a big factor in helping get the power to freely move the tentacle through its range of motion.  There's a reason many tentacle mechs are controlled by 4-foot-long levers anchored to the floor.

My advice would be to prototype small, troubleshoot the design when it's less expensive to make mistakes, and then scale up.

I hope you can share your progress on this project with us!

/Chris
  • Thank you Chris! I'll keep you posted...
  • Ok, next question. Are speedometer cables all the same size? (as in diameter, not length) I went to the auto parts store and it looks so tiny compared to what I saw in the video...
    thanks!
  • Speedometer cables are not all the same size, but I can't say for sure how much the size varies from model to model.

/Chris
  • Gotcha, thank you