Beauty and the Beast Transformation by 3MStudiosFX

Thanks for checking this piece out! 

I was tasked to build a the Beast appliances for my local theatre company's rendition of Beauty and the Beast! This included the face, hands, and feet! As soon as I was given the job, I went straight to the drawing board. I knew I wanted something easily re-appliable between shows for the Beast's face. I was lucky enough to stumble upon Jasper J. Anderson's rendition of the Beast and thought he had the perfect idea! He created a mask, with brow appliance and jaw appliance sewn onto a spandex hood that could be used over and over again. He sewed a wig onto the hood and laid hair to bring the character together. I knew this was what I was going to do, but I wanted mine to have a different overall look. I wanted my Beast to resemble a bull. I gave him floppy ears and aggressive horns. 

As far as the hands and feet go, I knew I didn't want to apply makeup every show either. I knew from the start that I was going to build some sort of gloves, as well as build the feet around some shoes. I was unsure where to start with the hands, so I reached out to the FoamFabber himself, Ted Haines. We bounced back and forth some ideas, but he shared the best way to make the gloves would be to foam fabricate the anatomy on top of spandex gloves. He explained that this would be best because it allows for light-weight and easy movement. Foam fabrication is also faster than sculpting, molding, and casting. I immediately took his advice and started building these gloves. These gloves were actually my first experience with foam-fabricating! They were a definite challenge, but a fun one at that! Once the foam fabrication was done, I was able to lay some hair to finish the look.

Since I foam-fabricated the Beast's hands, I knew I should do the same for his feet. I wanted to keep practicing with fabrication and build my skillset as an artist.  I wanted the feet to have a false heel, to make it look more animalistic. Once the fabrication was done, I went in and laid hair just like the hands! 

This was a super fun project, and I hope you all like it! I couldn't have done it without the help of Jasper J. Anderson and Ted Haines, so make sure to give them some love!