Cable for puppet problem

How do I attach a bicycle cable to the underside of a foam latex prosthetic puppet? I can't find anything to get it to stick so that the cable will move the puppet; it just comes off.

Comments

• Are you looking to stick the cable "directly" to the foam latex?

If that's the case, the problem is that not only is there much surface area for adhesion, but if the end of the wire is still sharp, it could puncture or tear the foam latex.

I haven't done this myself yet, but I've watched two animatronic courses here recently which cover this situation. It involves wrapping a small sheet of cloth around the end of the cable to form a "tag" of sorts, then gluing this tag to the skin with Pros-Aide. Craig Canton-Largent used simple cloth (low weave to help the glue soak through) while Rick Lazzarini used a fibreglass cloth, epoxied them together, then once dried, used the Pros-Aide to stick it on.

• Well, I have a video that shows a fx artist bending a cable and attaching it to the underside of foam with super glue and a piece of spandex. Did NOT work for me lol. Some cables go to the foam and some go to the underskull. Things such as the smiling cables are what I'm referring to. I just don't know what to use to stick the cable end to the foam. Everything peels off.
  • Gluing a fabric tab to the foam latex would be a good option.  The fabric allows for some flex and helps increase the surface area so you get a better bond and are less likely to tear things.

Superglue is not ideal for applications where things move and flex, as it creates a brittle rigid bond that will weaken with movement.  Something like Barge contact adhesive would work better.  Apply some to the foam, and some to the fabric, then let both dry for a few minutes.  Once they are dry and tacky, press them together for a solid bond.  

/Chris