TC 5110 Cure Inhibition

I am not sure if this is the right category, but I have run into a bizarre problem that I have not been successfully dealing with. I am working on a little "cable" controlled puppet, and I cast the skin in 5110 Platinum silicone. I had to cut it down the back to insert the armature and mechanism, and now I'm trying to seal it up and patch the seams. Only now, whenever I apply new material to the original casting, it will not cure. I called the manufacturer BJB for help and I took his advice but with no success. I mixed larger batches for a greater margin of error, I tried a batch without pigments or thickener, added heat, mixed parts A and B for over 3 minutes, and let it start to kick before applying. The same batch will cure if left in the cup or brushed into a different mold. I was using a silicone adhesive to glue it back together, so that was my first culprit, so I cut all that away (it bonded very well). The skin was still a little tacky, so I had been blasting it with a space heater for several consecutive hours. The tackiness is resolved, but the cure inhibition is still there. I have scrubbed it down with acetone, 99% IPA, and Naptha. It has to be something on the puppet that is inhibiting the silicone, but I can't understand what it could be. The original casting is a little old by now, it took forever for me to troubleshoot the mechanisms, but the issue is not only that its not bonding but it is falling to cure properly to begin with. I have no idea what to do next. 

Comments

• Addendum: I just cleaned it with odorless mineral spirits and leaving it alone atm
  • Alexander HAlexander H ✭✭✭
    I haven't used silicone enough times to make the mistakes needed to learn about these sorts of things, but before I did any, I was told to avoid using latex gloves. Do the gloves/tools your using contain latex? Are you using any tools that might not be fully clean, and could contaminate the silicone to stop it from curing?
  • @Alexander H No, I'm not using gloves, I'm using fresh popsicle sticks and an aluminum spatula I clean regularly 

• I've been using a lot of epoxy putty in my mechanisms, could that have something to do with it?
  • I recasted the entire skin and it still is inhibiting itself and refusing to bond. It is less than two days old, I don't know if I can ever finish this
  • I don't think epoxy putty would cause any problems with platinum silicone, but anything with sulfur in it or latex will cause curing issues.  

The advice on mixing a larger batch is solid, as sometimes small batches of silicone can have trouble curing since the margin for error is so small. 

Cleaning it with mineral spirits was also a good idea, so you are at least trying all the right things!

What was the original sculpture in?  I'm wondering if the mold is somehow contaminated since your second casting is having inhibition issues.

/Chris
  • Apologies for the late reply, but I just ended up recasting the skin and haven't experienced this issue again, so I don't think its the mold (Easy Flo 120) or the sculpture (Monster Clay). The project is almost done but I still have no idea what caused it