George Barrows style Gorilla teeth

edited June 24 in Lab work
My George Barrows gorilla suit build has been a very long project, learning as I go. I've finished the mask and underskull and just finished the teeth. 

Hollywood Gorillas are different in that everything is exaggerated. They were cinemas first monsters so they tend to be unrealistic even though the gorilla suit pioneers thought they were realistic. 

George Barrows was my 2nd favorite Hollywood Gorilla man (behind Crash Corrigan). Trying to replicate George's suit has been a blast. 

Here is my attempt at his style of teeth. They are made from Dental acrylic. I tried using dental stain but didn’t like it. I ended up using basic art acrylic paints. George's gums were a deep red so they showed up on camera and were a bit menacing. I sealed them in Gorilla glue. A local mask maker turned me on to using Gorilla Glue as a high gloss. Works FANTASTIC! 

I also ended up using Colortone guitar stain mixed with a little monomer to darken the teeth and to make cavities. Sorry that the pictures are out of sequence. 

First time doing any of this but would not have got this far without SW school!!! Thanks Matt and team!

Post edited by Jeffrey Mahon on

Comments