Options

Mask Mold with undercuts advice.

Hello! Newbie here having a lot of fun and learning a lot.  I am making a mask that I want to cast either in latex or silicone. I made my own core and started sculpting with nsp clay, still blocking it out. I want to make the mold in stone but there are some deep undercuts(i think??).  I'm not sure how to proceed. Change the design, two part mold(can I avoid seams?) Or silicone which id like to avoid for now. I'm mostly learning procedures and materials while trying to keep it somehow low budget! Thanks in advance!

I've attached pics of the sculpt and the core.
k

Comments

• Options
    I was looking at another posts and I might found out that it doesn't matter cause I'll be casting soft materials and theft clay won't get stuck. I guess I'll find out soon.😅
  • Options
    You should be good.  Your only big undercuts are around the nose, and that's a thin enough piece that it should be able to pull out of the mold as long as you are casting in a soft material.

Keep in mind that once you cast latex in that mold you can not use it for casting platinum silicone, as the latex residue will contaminate the silicone and prevent it from curing.  So if you want to try both, try silicone first.

/Chris
  • Options
    Thank you so much Chris.Good point about the silicone and latex! Does gelatine contaminate silicone? 
  • Options
    Gelatine will not contaminate the silicone and is a great inexpensive option to test out a mold to see how much material you need, and how the mold is performing.

/Chris
  • Options
    Perfect!
    Thank you!