Options

Silicone power mesh pattern

Last halloween I attempted my first silicone mask. Technically, I succeeded with the pull. However, it was extremely tight around where the neck meets the bottom of the head. I sewed everything in the proper direction. But I think I got the pattern wrong. Which ultimately led to it still being a bit tight and struggled to get the mask on comfortably.

I do not have much experience with sewing in general and was wondering if anyone has a basic pattern for a power mesh for mask making? I want to make sure my next mask will be put together properly.

Comments

• Options
    One thing to double-check is that the power mesh is not stretching when you put it on the head form. It should be in a relaxed state after positioning.  You want the stretch only when it's being worn, otherwise it might constrict or deform the mask.

If it's still too tight, you may have to modify the mold and core to allow for more room.  That type of adjustment and fine-tuning is totally normal when working with a new core, especially when it's your first time.

/Chris

• Options
    edited January 15
    One thing to double-check is that the power mesh is not stretching when you put it on the head form. It should be in a relaxed state after positioning.  You want the stretch only when it's being worn, otherwise it might constrict or deform the mask.

If it's still too tight, you may have to modify the mold and core to allow for more room.  That type of adjustment and fine-tuning is totally normal when working with a new core, especially when it's your first time.

/Chris

I gotcha. The seam must have been a tad small then right at that spot. 

Trial and error tho I suppose 
  • Options
    edited January 21
    Also make sure to use stretchable seams setting on your machine, preferably zigzag, with a moderate to large spacing. 

This prevent the seams to literally cancel the stretch of the fabric. 

If your seams are straight lines, the fabric won't stretch "on the seam line" 

With zigzag seams, it allows it to stretch nearly as much as the fabric. 

It's tricky to set the machine in the first place, but once you do tests and find the perfect settings, it's a pretty straightforward technique! 

I do my own power mesh hoods, and my mother is a professional seamstress. Thats the first thing she told me to do, even before I even start my pattern. 

I've cast many masks since then, both half masks and full masks, and the seams stretch pretty well. 

Full masks are trickier than half masks, since you have more seams in the neck area. 
  • Options
    Also make sure to use stretchable seams setting on your machine, preferably zigzag, with a moderate to large spacing. 

This prevent the seams to literally cancel the stretch of the fabric. 

If your seams are straight lines, the fabric won't stretch "on the seam line" 

With zigzag seams, it allows it to stretch nearly as much as the fabric. 

It's tricky to set the machine in the first place, but once you do tests and find the perfect settings, it's a pretty straightforward technique! 

I do my own power mesh hoods, and my mother is a professional seamstress. Thats the first thing she told me to do, even before I even start my pattern. 

I've cast many masks since then, both half masks and full masks, and the seams stretch pretty well. 

Full masks are trickier than half masks, since you have more seams in the neck area. 
    Oh awesome thank you for the tip! I definitely did a regular seam. The sewing machine I have is ancient and barely works beyond a standard line. So I think i'm gonna upgrade and get a new one before I attempt this again. I will definitely remember to keep that in mind though!