Options

New Student - Jordu Schell Course - How to Sculpt a Character Maquette - Human Anatomy

edited December 2023 in Sculpture
Hello, I'm new here. My name is Jason and I'm presently in Boise, Idaho. I started learning to sculpt in June of this year, having picked up some Super Sculpey and taking a stab at a maquette. I found a lot of enjoyment in it, and didn't do that bad of a job for my first sculpt.  I've been learning more and joined the Stan Winston School to continue that learning. As a young man I wanted to go into Special Effects, but I had no idea how to go about making that happen. This was back in the 80's - there wasn't all of the helpful posts and videos that are at your fingertips today. Fast forward and I'm making some space in my life to pursue a little bit of that dream.
Anyway, I just wrapped up the sculpture from the Jordu Schell course - the Robert DeNiro Travis Bickel character. That was awesome, and I really enjoyed the tips and examples that Jordu shared. It was helpful. I wanted to share some pics below. I'm ready to do some smoothing, and I've been searching for the best recipe for smoothing it out. I used 99% Isopropyl Alcohol on my last sculpt, but it left a white film on my piece (using Monster Clay medium) that was a pain to get off. Of all the posts I've read about using alcohol, no one has ever mentioned this happening. For this piece I thought I might try mineral oil, but testing it on a small piece of Monster Clay left it too oily and shiny. I've considered mixing the rubbing alcohol with the mineral oil, but I'm not sure. Maybe I should just purchase Isopropyl Myristate or go with something like Turpenoid. Looking for thoughts on this, as well as any constructive crit on my piece. 

Comments

• Options
    Fantastic job on the sculpture!

I often use 99% isopropyl alcohol on Monster Clay, and it does leave a little bit of a light haze on the surface, which is generally not an issue.  One fast way to remove the haze is by quickly passing a flame over the surface.  I use a squeezable alcohol torch for that.  Here is the one I use:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VS22C1/

/Chris
  • Options
    Thank you! I ended up using heat on my last piece, and like you said, it took it off. But it put the zap on some fine details. Thanks for the tip on the torch.