Options

Molding resin master for Latex casting?

Hi all,

I am in the process of building another Hollywood Gorilla Suit in the style of George Barrows' Konga. 

I thought I'd go a little more realistic with the hands and got resin castings of a Male Gorilla. 

What would be the best process to go from resin masters to Ultracal molds for latex castings?

Thank you!
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    I would make a 2 part silicone mold of the hands, then cast them in either a flexible urethane or silicone (with good barriers and release to prevent bonding to mold)

Then you would have a flexible master that would be safe to mold in Ultracal or Hydrocal.

Just my thoughts.  Would anyone else handle it differently?

/Chris
  • Options
    Thanks Chris!!

Would you do a silicone box mold with no plaster shell?
  • Options
    I would probably clay up half the hand to create the parting line/keys, and then either pour up each half like a box mold or brush on multiple layers layers of silicone with a plaster or epoxy shell.  Box molds typically use more silicone, which can increase cost.

/Chris
  • Options
    Here is my attempt so far. 

• Options
    Silicone is definitley the go to for making a urethane skin build for these...make the sleeve pretty thick and a 2 parter IF you  can...that way the urethane can be brushed in to a desirable thickness on both sides and seamed from within or after it has been put together..
  • Options
    Hi all,

Just wanted to update everyone. I ended using hard Monster Clay in the Silicone mold instead of Urethane rubber. I melted it down and pressed the clay into the two halves and put them together. 

I figured with Hard Monster Clay I had the ability to fix imperfections and/or add more detail. Plus the Resin masters had some casting flaws I wanted to correct. 

Everything turned out great and I'm in the process of making Ultracal molds so I can cast latex "gloves". 

• Options
    Looking good!

/Chris
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

SUCCESS! After a few mishaps with spilled latex, I got two good pulls of my gorilla suit hands. 

• Options
    Glad you were able to get a couple of good castings out of the mold!

/Chris
  • Options
    Thanks Chris!