The Sea Angel Baby (Puppet)

A silicone puppet inspired by H.P. Lovecraft's "The Horror in the Museum", a short story about the wax museum owner, who has found the body of an elder god, is slowly being driven to madness. I wonder what else he could have found, so I wanted to make an unknown specimen come to life as people gaze upon it.

It is a hybrid of a mermaid syndrome baby and marine animals, namely, a manta ray, a sea angel, and tentacles. The tentacles are fused together, like the mermaid syndrome. From the deformed “tail,” one can tell that it was not adept at swimming. The tentacle belly, tentacle-liked legs and pectoral fins merged with the human baby face will also convey its crossbred nature. On its face, a twisted frown hints at a slight sense of agony.

I aim to make the piece convey familiarity and strangeness, as someone would feel emotional when staring at its face, but also feel "what the hell?" when seeing its body.

Process: Concept design in ZBrush. Sculpted with Chavant NSP on the armature comprised of a PLA skull and a PU foam body.  Moulded with fibreglassing. Casted in silicone. 

Mechanics: A rod from the back of the head, and one-axis soft tube tentacle mechanics in both arms. 

This is a work I have just finished for the second term of MA Prosthetic Effect at Falmouth University. 
For more photos and clips, please visit my Instagram.
Instagram: syshityard
https://instagram.com/p/CsPAUegt9Er/

Puppet Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d040t8N4wew&ab_channel=MiaLeung

Post edited by Sumyee Leung on

Comments

• "I aim to make the piece convey familiarity and strangeness, as someone would feel emotional when staring at its face, but also feel "what the hell?" when seeing its body."

You have succeeded.Great work, very well done!
  • So cool! In love with the face expression!  <3
  • "I aim to make the piece convey familiarity and strangeness, as someone would feel emotional when staring at its face, but also feel "what the hell?" when seeing its body."

You have succeeded.Great work, very well done!
    Thank you very much🙏🙏🙏🙏😆
  • Angelica said:
    So cool! In love with the face expression!  <3
    Thanks for the comment Angie😂😂