Options

Seam Line Question (with pictures)

Hello! 

I'm brand new to this community, and somewhat new to the whole FX process. I haven't sculpted anything in about 15 years, and the first latex masks I ever made were self-taught. I'm now making a silicone mask and following the Immortal Mask/ Mike E Cook mold making process. I'm using Monster Clay medium on the Ed Head 2.0 armature. I'm trying to map out my seam lines, but there is a potential issue with the design. There seems to be two high points along the side of the mask, with a slight indentation in-between. I'm not sure where to create the seam, and if it will cause a lock issue when demolding. I am hoping that the monster clay will soften when I pour hot water into the bottom of the armature, so the release will be easier... as they say it should. 

I also was unable to get the Loctite Frekote Lift release agent, and instead bought the Mann Ease Release 200. Is this a good alternative? Pictures attached, so I hope this is all clear. :) 

Thanks!
Dave Wolf
www.alphaillustration.com 

Comments

• Options
    Can you provide a picture of the silhouette of the whole thing and a picture of straight down over the top of the head (like the last one but centered)?

Honestly, you should be fine with either of those seam lines.  You're going to be casting platinum silicone, which is a soft material that can squeeze through undercuts.  The greater concern with a mold like this is if there is a part of the core/positive that locks into the mold, which an Ed Head doesn't have here.  Those are mold breaking problems.  
  • Options
    Can you provide a picture of the silhouette of the whole thing and a picture of straight down over the top of the head (like the last one but centered)?

Honestly, you should be fine with either of those seam lines.  You're going to be casting platinum silicone, which is a soft material that can squeeze through undercuts.  The greater concern with a mold like this is if there is a part of the core/positive that locks into the mold, which an Ed Head doesn't have here.  Those are mold breaking problems.  
    Ah! Thanks, Devin! That makes sense. I was thinking an undercut would lock on the demold, but I suppose the clay can also be pulled. A lock is more about the core underneath... I see! In that case I might just go with the smoothest path, which would be the back seam. Wish me luck!!  :smile:
  • Options
    On the matter of demold:  Your Ed Head should have a nozzle on the bottom.  Before attempting to demold, get a bucket of hot water, flip the Ed Head upside down, and fill it up.  Wait about 20 minutes or so and the hot water will soften the Monster Clay making demold MUCH easier.