Options

Question about release agent

Hi! I'm gathering all the stuff I need to create my first epoxy resin mold to cast my first silicone mask. 

Mike Cooke from Immortal said to use Loctite frekote 770-NC as a release agent. 

The problem is: I can't seem to find any even online. Someone suggested me the frekote 700-NC, but I don't want to mess things up. 

Can anybody suggest me a replacement or equivalent to the frekote 770-NC?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Options
    any basic wax product will work..carnuba paste...johnson paste wax etc...OR you can use a silicone spray release but...meh..its not 100% necessary..as silicone doesn;t really "stick" to much...but porous surfaces can cause it to get "grabby'
  • Options
    any basic wax product will work..carnuba paste...johnson paste wax etc...OR you can use a silicone spray release but...meh..its not 100% necessary..as silicone doesn;t really "stick" to much...but porous surfaces can cause it to get "grabby'

That's good to know!

It's actually to be used in the mold making process. When applying the gel coat and epoxy resin and fiberglass. It's mainly to avoid both part of the mold sticking together and also to help clean the mold by making the clay less sticky.

As for the casting process, I intend to use a mix of orange Palmolive with 99% alcohol. 
  • Options
    Hey MaxLevL! I had a similar question. I couldn't get the Frekote Lift in time and so I bought Mann Release Technologies "Ease Release 200", which says it's a "mold release agent for use with Silicones, Urethanes, and Resins." I'm hoping it works, so I'll let you know after this weekend. Was easy to find on Amazon. 
  • Options
    If you're casting platinum silicone in a hard, non-porous mold, the removal process will be pretty easy even if you forget to use a release agent.  The greater concern is the inhibition of the platinum silicone.