Options

Darth Bane, SW: Secrets of The Sith

The first illustration Darth Bane's of exotic orbalisk armour first appeared in Secrets of the Sith by Lucas Books, 2000. And I was intrigued. As an illustrator for the Encyclopædia Britannica and an avid student of entomology, I set out to design my own version of the character.

I sculpted Darth Bane's helm in 2004. Moulding was a challenge. There is simply no substitute for experience, no lesson better learned than through trial by fyre.

Next, I sculpted seven different instars of the orbalisk parasites and began to cast multiples between assignments.

The helm was cast in resin.

The final orbalisk body armour was moulded with Plaster of Paris and cast with hot melt vinyl (glue sticks.)

I loved making this costume as much as I enjoy becoming the character. Though I am working on another half a dozen new costumes, I still hold ambitions to re-create Darth Bane. I believe in using the skills and material knowledge I have gained in the many years since I started down this road I can infuse this Legend of Star Wars with new Life.

Thank you,
Thomas Spanos
The Clone Emperor

Comments