Modelling Clay Issue

Hello! I'm new here, signed up so I could post this question and then peruse the videos. I've been doing basic SFX makeup for a while but haven't don't anything with prosthetics yet. I'm venturing into that realm now and plan to make some basic flat mold prosthetics out of latex. I got my modelling clay the other day and thought I would try it out while I wait for my other supplies to come in. However, after an hour of playing around, I'm wondering if I got the wrong kind or if I'm doing something wrong. I've been trying to smooth out the edges with both my fingers and a few tools so I get a nice thin edge but my clay won't do that, it just kind of rips away and bunches up. I tried heating it up but it didn't really make much of a difference. The only thing that did seem to help was adding a little baby oil. I've attached a picture below of my last attempt where the left side had baby oil applied and the right did not, so you can see what I'm talking about. I've also included a photo of the label. If I did get the wrong kind does anyone have suggestions on a better option and where you can purchase it in Canada? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• I'm not familiar with that brand, but if you can get it to work for you then it should be good.  And it's sulfur-free so you can make molds of your work with platinum-based silicones. 

If you want to try another clay I would suggest Chavant Medium NSP or Monster Clay.  Not sure about their availability in Canada but I know you can order them online.

/Chris
  • Thanks Chris! I ended up buying some Chavant clay and it worked much better. The white clay is fine for making walls when I make moulds of my sculpts.