My Very First Sculpture Attempt

Hi all, 

I thought I'd post progress on my very first sculpture attempt. I'm not sure how it will turn out but I think it might be good for people, who like me, have watched all the great tutorials and, also like me, spent a long time working up to have the guts to give it a try with no prior experience. None of this would have been possible without the teaching of the guy's from SWSCA.

So, I was very keen to get into masks, and I'm very much into the Japanese 
Menpō. Then I watched the new Altered Carbon anime on Netflix and really dug the Tech Ninjas so that's my reference.

I can only jump in a!d out of sculpting during the day as I'm locked down and working remotely and I've got a 3 year old to wrangle with the wife! So progress will be sloooow. It's in WED to add insult to injury but I'm spritzing and keeping covered when I'm not working on it.

This is the first stage, I'm trying to get symmetry and I'm not happy with the proportions but I will get that sorted. Also, who would have thought noses where so difficult?

The end game here is to jacket mold it in silicone and then slush cast in resin (the only tutorial not on here!) Then I've got a paint job in mind thanks to Craig Fraser and his great tutorials.

I hope these images aren't crazy big when I post.

Comments

• Hi Steve,

Sculpt is looking great!  I still need to check out the Altered Carbon Anime.  The live-action series has been a lot of fun.  I could immediately see the Japanese Samurai mask influence.

I can't wait to see the finished project!

/Chris
  • Thanks Chris, the photo gives it a wierd anamorphic look, it's not as chinny as it appears.

Check out the anime, it's full of blood mist, so what's not to like!
  • Day 2: teeth

Realised it was hard to visualise the mouth with it filled so I scraped it out and started on the teeth. I also shaved down some of the bulk on the sides.

WED is too difficult to so small stuff on when it's really moist so I left it for a while to firm up a little. Tried mirror the teeth best I can since they're not really organic, they're metal (I suppose) Not much progress on 3 hours!