Interview for class project

My name is Ella Vickers and I am 12 yrs old. I go to Oliver Middle School. My math teacher has assigned a project about math in careers and everyday life.
I love Face Off and I want to be a special effects artist when I grow up and I would like to know about how math is used in that career.

Would anyone be willing to answer some questions for me?

10 questions I would like to use for your interview.

1 What drew you to this career?

2 What is the nature of the work (job responsibilities, day-to-day activities)?

3 What are the working conditions (outside, inside, office, managerial, solitary,

team)?

4 What qualifications are required?

5 How long have you worked at this job?

6 Do you enjoy the work you do?

7 How do you use math in your work?

8 What mathematical concepts do you use on a regular basis

9 Where did you learn the math that you needed to be successful in your career?

10 What advice do you have for me as a middle school math student?

Thank you so much for helping me!

Comments

• Christopher VaughanChristopher Vaughan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013

Hi Ella, My name is Christopher Vaughan, I am the Live Class Coordinator for Stan Winston School and also a maths nut. I would love to take some time to answer your questions.

1 What drew you to this career?

I love movie monsters and have wanted to work in special effects since I was your age.

2 What is the nature of the work (job responsibilities, day-to-day activities)?

I am responsible for making sure that all of our live webinars are accessible, promoted, well developed and the best possible learning experience for our students.

3 What are the working conditions (outside, inside, office, managerial, solitary, team)?
    My job involves a lot of teamwork and individual initiative, as soon as a problem is discovered, I begin to solve it. If needed, I have a very knowledgeable team to help correct the problem. My working conditions involve everything from from office work to on set work.

4 What qualifications are required?

A strong attention to detail and the ability to problem solve quickly. There are no academic qualifications required, however college will help you learn the necessary problem solving skills by providing you with a large volume of academic knowledge to fall back on when problem solving.

5 How long have you worked at this job?
    about a year.

6 Do you enjoy the work you do?

Very very much.

7 How do you use math in your work?

occasionally to work out financing or promotional goals. I use math quite bit in my hobbies, animatronics, robotics, sculpture and CGI.

8 What mathematical concepts do you use on a regular basis

Logic, calculus, differential equations, trigonometry (I use a lot of trigonometry)

9 Where did you learn the math that you needed to be successful in your career?

I attended a masters program in mathematics.

10 What advice do you have for me as a middle school math student?

Maths are the language of the universe and just as an artist can appreciate the beauty of a flower, Mathematicians appreciate the beauty of the structures unseen to the eye. Simply, math will make you more aware and appreciative of your world.

Chris