Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Help! Moldmaking- how to mold an eel?

Kai RottmannKai Rottmann ✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in Fabrication
Heyho,

i am wondering, how to go with a mold for an eel like creature. 

I was thinking about a 3 part mold- one part for the face, two parts for the rest of the sculpture?

I would love to not going crazy with that mold, because its on a budget. 

The finished creature has to be able to open the mouth- that means that i have to install an underskull for the mouth mechanism. But how would it be the best to go?

It should have also: 
- a latex skin
- filled with foam for holding the shapes and make it stable

I would be very happy if anyone could help me. 

Greets

Edit:

Comments

• Chris EllerbyChris Ellerby Los Angeles Admin
    Your thoughts about doing it as a 3 piece mold sound like how I would tackle it.  Since you are casting a flexible material you should be able to cast that face with a single mold.  And that way your seam lines would be behind the head and easy to clean up.

If you are looking to save money (and since you want to cast latex) a stone mold (ultracal 30, etc) could work for you.  Though at that size a 3 piece mold would be pretty heavy.

I would mold the back with 2 pieces.  One for each side, so your seam line would be along the top and bottom edges and easy clean up and hide.  I'd design those 2 mold halves so they have keys for the front mold segment, so it can lock into them.

I would put the pour spout hole at the end of the tail, somewhere that is less likely to be seen, but could be patched easily.

Sculpt is looking great!

/Chris
  • Thank you very much Chris.

I will try that 3 part ultracal mold as you mentioned- 1 part front- 2 parts back + spout hole in the back.

I will report here about what happened xD

Very happy, that you are here for us :-)

Greets