For my Twitch live stream
) I plan on incorporating an on-screen Zombie Drill Instructor character to add a bit of Hollywood production value. I'll be sharing the process of bringing that character to life here on the forums as well.
On last Saturday's live stream
I sculpted a quick maquette to test out different ideas for the character. This was a fun process because our community on Twitch was able to take part in the creative process and make suggestions/give feedback.
Since this was just a quick and dirty maquette with only primary forms I wanted to do some digital painting on the character to change some of the features and explore different colors and textures.
On last night's live stream
we did a quick digital paint, which will be us as reference when we start sculpting the final character.
I'm pretty happy with how the character is turning out. We may make a few more changes before moving on, so any suggestions and feedback is welcome!
Next steps include:
- Sculpt the final character in Chavant or Monster Clay
- Make a 2 part fiberglass mold of the sculpt
- Do a clay lay up inside the fiberglass mold and produce a mold core
- Create a fiberglass underskull
- Cast a silicone skin
- Design and build animatronic eyes/lids
- Build and incorporate a hand-operated mouth mech
- Paint the skins
- Fabricate & finish the hat
- Design the cigar with embedded LEDs for animated glow, and incorporate tubing and a connection so smoke can be fed through from an attachment point in the jaw
- Fabricate teeth and eyes
- Final character assembly and finishing work
- Explore voices and character performance
- Film the puppet on a green screen
- Compositing and visual effects pass
- Take a nap
More to come soon!