Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Zombie Drill instructor Animatronic Puppet

Chris EllerbyChris Ellerby Los Angeles Admin
edited November 8 in Puppets
For my Twitch live stream ( https://www.twitch.tv/vexfx ) I plan on incorporating an on-screen Zombie Drill Instructor character to add a bit of Hollywood production value.  I'll be sharing the process of bringing that character to life here on the forums as well.

On last Saturday's live stream I sculpted a quick maquette to test out different ideas for the character.   This was a fun process because our community on Twitch was able to take part in the creative process and make suggestions/give feedback.

Since this was just a quick and dirty maquette with only primary forms I wanted to do some digital painting on the character to change some of the features and explore different colors and textures.

On last night's live stream we did a quick digital paint, which will be us as reference when we start sculpting the final character.

I'm pretty happy with how the character is turning out.  We may make a few more changes before moving on, so any suggestions and feedback is welcome!

Next steps include:
  • Sculpt the final character in Chavant or Monster Clay
  • Make a 2 part fiberglass mold of the sculpt
  • Do a clay lay up inside the fiberglass mold and produce a mold core
  • Create a fiberglass underskull
  • Cast a silicone skin
  • Design and build animatronic eyes/lids
  • Build and incorporate a hand-operated mouth mech
  • Paint the skins
  • Fabricate & finish the hat
  • Design the cigar with embedded LEDs for animated glow, and incorporate tubing and a connection so smoke can be fed through from an attachment point in the jaw
  • Fabricate teeth and eyes
  • Final character assembly and finishing work
  • Explore voices and character performance
  • Film the puppet on a green screen
  • Compositing and visual effects pass
  • Take a nap
More to come soon!

/Chris
Post edited by Chris Ellerby on

Comments

• That is a very cool character, Chris  B) 

Cant wait to see the finish!

Greets

Kai
  • Chris EllerbyChris Ellerby Los Angeles Admin
    Quick update on the animatronic zombie puppet.

Here is a screenshot of the animatronic design for the eye mechs.  If it looks familiar, it's because the design is from our lesson with David Covarrubias on 3D printed eye mechs.  I made a few changes to suit my own needs, but the base design is great!

I've already started printing and assembling things, and so far it's moving great.

Right now I have both eyes moving, and will be hooking up the eyelids tonight.  I'm also trying out a new transmitter by Taranis  (X9D) which seems promising.

More to come soon!

/Chris

Eyes and eyelids are now working!  Transmitter is setup with some switches set for winks, blinks, etc.  Video to come soon!

/Chris
    edited November 20
    Here's a video of the eyes in action.

In addition to being able to control blinks/lids with the left joystick I setup one of the momentary switches so I can easily do fast blinks.  There are also 2 switches that let me control winks, and a third switch that lets me roll the eyes back and adjust the lids so you can't see the iris/pupil.

/Chris