Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Some advice on my first project

Hi, I'm going to be starting my first sculpt soon in chavant NSP medium, its going to be a formless/semi liquid monster based on this drawing i did a few years ago..... (I figured it will be easier to get the hang of sculpting something like this as a beginner, rather than a humanoid form etc)
After watching Jordu's tutorial on making maquettes, my questions are;

Because of the shape, I'm going to use armature wire, but I ultimately want to have it in a display case (if it goes ok!) would it be easier to remove the finished sculpt from a temporary base, or should I mount the wire to the base of the final case.

How tough is chavant medium when it cools (I know it doesn't set hard), but if I wanted to add some larger tentacles, would i need wire for those too?

Thanks in advance, and I'll be posting pics of the project as soon as I start it!

Comments

• Chris EllerbyChris Ellerby Los Angeles Admin
    I would suggest making your armature so it can be removed from your sculpting base and then inserted into your display base.  That way you don't have to worry about making a mess on your display base, potentially damaging it during sculpting, etc.

Depending on the size/length of the tentacles you will likely want an armature in them just to be safe.

That kind of organic shape seems like a great (and fun) project to start sculpting.  I hope you can share some photos of the finished sculpt here!

/Chris
  • Thanks for that, What would be the best way to do it? A socket of some kind ( metal tube) that the armature fits in?

• Thomas van der VeerThomas van der Veer Gelderland - Nijmegen ✭✭✭
    looks great
  • Chris EllerbyChris Ellerby Los Angeles Admin
    You can make a socket using square tubing so it does not rotate.  You can also have the base of the armature bolt to your working board from the under side, so removing a single bolt frees it.

/Chris