Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Spring-heeled Jack, a mask for theatre

Hi everyone, this is my first post ...
It took a while before I wanted to post something because I'm a bit intimidated by all the beautiful work here on the forum.
Because I mainly work for theatre and masked balls, my style of work is quite classic and stylized.
This means my style is a bit different from most things i see here on the forum.
But this is a project I am currently working on and where I'm having fun with. It's my version of the character 'Spring-heeled Jack ' it's going to be a theatre mask for a customer.
Please let know what you think, hope you like it :)  

Comments

• Chris EllerbyChris Ellerby Los Angeles Admin
    Congrats on your first post, and an awesome looking mask!

I love that classic style of mask, and your design is very beautiful!  I hope you can share some photos of the painting process and finished mask with us.

/Chris
  • Thanks Chris!

I will try and post some updates... I am filling in the mould at this moment. Always an exiting moment to see how the first shape comes out of the mould...
  • Thomas WeberThomas Weber Belgium
    edited October 2016
    Hello again,

As promised some updates on the making of my mask :) 
    first picture is of the first test coming out of the mold...

Next picture shows some added features (like horns)...
    Then a few layers of something to refine the shape and texture and mostly lots... lots of sanding and then a white basecoat of paint...
    ... and painting...
    and as a final touch, a large feather...
    any comments (or questions) are always welcome ;-)

• Chris EllerbyChris Ellerby Los Angeles Admin
    It turned out great!  I love the classic paint style as well.  Nicely done!

/Chris
  • Thanks for the compliment Chris :)
  • You're a natural! I want to see the performance now! Very whimsical, yet I feel fearful. 
  • Freddy StynenFreddy Stynen Antwerp - Puurs
    looks great, but also funny :)
  • This looks great, Thomas! I love that finish, too.     Did you lay in strips of paper/clothe into the mold with an adhesive?