Spring-heeled Jack, a mask for theatre

Hi everyone, this is my first post ...
It took a while before I wanted to post something because I'm a bit intimidated by all the beautiful work here on the forum.
Because I mainly work for theatre and masked balls, my style of work is quite classic and stylized.
This means my style is a bit different from most things i see here on the forum.
But this is a project I am currently working on and where I'm having fun with. It's my version of the character 'Spring-heeled Jack ' it's going to be a theatre mask for a customer.
Please let know what you think, hope you like it :)  

Comments

• Congrats on your first post, and an awesome looking mask!

I love that classic style of mask, and your design is very beautiful!  I hope you can share some photos of the painting process and finished mask with us.

/Chris
  • Thanks Chris!

I will try and post some updates... I am filling in the mould at this moment. Always an exiting moment to see how the first shape comes out of the mould...
  • edited October 2016
    Hello again,

As promised some updates on the making of my mask :) 
    first picture is of the first test coming out of the mold...

Next picture shows some added features (like horns)...
    Then a few layers of something to refine the shape and texture and mostly lots... lots of sanding and then a white basecoat of paint...
    ... and painting...
    and as a final touch, a large feather...
    any comments (or questions) are always welcome ;-)

• It turned out great!  I love the classic paint style as well.  Nicely done!

/Chris
  • Thanks for the compliment Chris :)
  • You're a natural! I want to see the performance now! Very whimsical, yet I feel fearful. 
  • looks great, but also funny :)
  • This looks great, Thomas! I love that finish, too.     Did you lay in strips of paper/clothe into the mold with an adhesive? 
  • edited July 2017
    thanks :) Yes, i did. It is my own take on old fashioned Papier-maché... Using bigger pieces of brown craft paper (they use woolpaper in Venice but it is really difficult to find it here in Belgium) soaking them in - and kneading them with a mix of different adhesives. then tearing of smaler pieces and putting them into the mold. The trick is to know how many layers, putting extra coatings of adhesive between certain layers, letting things dry and making them wet again and getting the shape out of the mold when it is hard enough to keep it's shape but soft enough to still be flexible. but those are things you can't write down, they are different every time depending in the shape of the mold, thickness of the paper and even the weather. you have to 'feel' if you are doing the right thing ;-)
    ...and of course i always end with putting on layers of coating and lots of sanding to get the right finish...
    Post edited by Thomas Weber on