It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Hi there - new to the school but very excited to try out character makeup!
I'm planning a costume build of a Male Draenei for my husband for a convention (Blizzcon 2017). I only do one costume a year so I have plenty of time.
I've chosen Prophet Velen from World of Warcraft- and while I have experience and confidence in my ability to make the props and robes - This will be my first venture into prosthetics of any kind so I'm both excited and intimidated - and I have a few questions.
I hope this is the right place to ask!
Things I'm trying to take into consideration are:
- this makeup (+ costume) has to be worn all day at a convention - and while he's willing to be uncomfortable, it can't be unbearable and has to stand up to a day of wear
- he has to be able to eat and drink while wearing it
- and I need the beard to be re-useable. (I've done a crepe hair application directly on the face before but clearly that wont work here.)
- based on the size of the forehead and the fact that it will probably be warm in November (when the convection is) I've gleaned that Foam Latex is my best bet.
- I'm starting from scratch tools / materials wise so I know this will be expensive but I'd prefer not to spend my life savings!
- I intend to buy a small(ish) smoker oven - so I don't think I'll have space to bake a full one piece cowl like in the class with the Hag makeup. I'll need to break it down into parts.
1) For the face, if I did an appliance for the lower half of the face and either punched or laid hair on it would the foam latex be able to support a large amount of hair like that? (I do intend to scale it down a bit - the character's beard is pretty out of control - but I'd like it to be long and have decent volume) If not - other suggestions on how to make / apply a beard like this?
2) Facial tentacles - some art has them, some does not. I'd like to include them but only if I can make them look not good. Any suggestion on those? so that they are flexible but not like limp or weird looking.
3) along the same line as the face tentacles - I need to make a tail. I'd prefer the tail to keep it's shape but not be super ridged - Also will probably be too large to bake - suggestions on materials?
Thank you in advance for any feedback or advice!
also for funzies here are a few of our past Blizzard costumes - (Luckily he's already bald so that part's easy!)
(sorry if the images are huge - I did try and edit the HTML to get them down to size but it may not have worked)