Questions for Scott Land

Hi Watch & Chat Students!

If you have any questions for Scott, please post on this forum!

Comments

• Rick Q.Rick Q.
    edited September 2015
    Test, Test. Is there a way to watch using Apple TV via YouTube?

-a very excited Watch and Chat student
    Rick Q. 
  • Does Scott use an apron when working or is it usually in a dress shirt? :smiley: 
  • Scott: what is the average cost of materials per marionette? And, time to build? Thx!
  • Scott: do you ever have to add weight to the shoes?
  • Hi--what material is best for the arm tubes? a knit or straight sheet-like cotton or muslin?
  • Here are answers from Scott.

Rick Q: 
    I never thought about cost or time.  Weight can be added to the heals... If needed.  Lighter feet are better than heavy.

Kathryn:
    I like cotton fabric for the material... And fiber fill to stuff the arm.
  • Question 1: Hi Yukako, this forum is not visible when you click on the forums link on the class page. Could you please link it in as searching for it through the SWSCA forums is very time consuming.

Question 2 for Scott- when making the mold for the chest, pelvis and limbs are your molds 1 part or 2 part molds?
  • Hi Katherine,

I understand what you mean, we're taking a look at it.
    We can only link Workshop Student forum to the live webcourse page right now.

For now, you can scroll down the forum, and find this "Watch & Chat Student" forum. I'll ask your question to Scott.

• Scott, If I were to make a 31 inch tall marionette based on what you are teaching us, could 1 quart each of the silicone, urethane and rigid urethane be adequate?

I did some research at the local Burman Industries and I can't convince my wife I need to buy gallons on chemicals at this point. :)

I feel like I am in an episode of "Breaking Marionettes"  and I need to make the stuff. :)

-Rick
  • Here are answers from Scott.

Katherine:
    I like 1 part molds with a slit... It's very easy to align, run and separate the mold. 

Rick Q:
    As far as materials and supplies... I never have measured. My molds are block molds and that means more waste.  The urethane and foam are best to try a small amount.  I buy one gallon kits to experiment.  But quarts are fine too.  It's about trial and error.  

• Scott: Do maintain access to the back of the puppet head for incidental repairs? Or, do you permanently cover and re-cut when necessary? Thank you of your time.
    Rick Q. (@rcqcreative)
  • Always leave a trap door... I like rare earth magnets to keep it closed 
  • Hi there. My questions are :
    1- Are we going to learn about finishing the puppet head?, specifically about how to make the hair, Does Scott makes small wigs for his marionettes? or he just cuts and glues the hair on the marionette's head?.
    2- Painting the urethane face of the marionete, what paints does he use?, does he use brushes or does he use and airbrush?, is the painting permanent? or we need to be careful not to scratch it?
    Thanks and have a great day
  • Question for Scott: Hi Scott, when sculpting the hands, should I keep the fingers together to make moulding easier or separate? Thanks so much.
  • For anyone doing the course in the future or for those still making their molds especially of the torso and pelvis of the marionette, the on demand webcourse How to make a body cast on a budget is a great way of making a mold for rigid foam and not spend either any or very little money. 
    https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/tutorials/how-to-body-cast-create-custom-mannequin-on-a-budget
  • Hi Alfredo,

1. We'll finish head mech but probably we don't go into fabrication details.

2. I added painting material list to the live webcourse page. Please take a look.
  • Yukako ShimadaYukako Shimada Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Here are answers from Scott.

Alfredo:
    We are not going to be finishing or wigging a head... But an extra casting of a head is created and placed on a stand to act as a bust.  Then you wrap the bust with plastic wrap and cover with cheese cloth and water based glue to create a wig support... This is called a skullcap. After drying... You the attach the "hair" to the skullcap to create a finished wig.  This is then glued on the finished head.

Painting of the urethane head... After you have finished animating... Take the head to the sink and wet sand the entire head with 120 grit sandpaper.  This will remove any oils and contaminants .... Then use Acrylics to paint.  Either airbrush or hand painting is your choice. After the head is painted seal the paint with testors dullcote... This will lock in the paint job.

Katherine:
    Hands should be sculpted in a natural position for silicon molding... After the resin casting is pulled out while it's warm, you can shape them.  Let the fingers be separate.
  • Question for Scott, could you please show us in class how to install the magnets in the head to keep the trap door closed once the puppet is assembled? thanks!