Presentation Garance Cordier

edited March 27 in General
Hi everyone !

I'm new here. My name is Garance Cordier. I'm a 26 years old hobbyist in sculpture area and beginner with sculpey. I'm here for improve my skills and have critics on my work for become better. I'm also passionate by drawing, concept art, writing, movies history, art history, comic books, animals and mythology. I worked many years ago in design area for Infomercials inc for Ugly Snugglies plushes for create characters. You can take a look here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhkP0a3lj7I
My designes wasn't the final product but i'm happy to had participate to this project.
Here a sample of my first sculpey sculpture. Any critics are welcome. The membrane behind the head will be slimmer. Also it was hard to have good references for dinosaurs, can you recommend me a good site please ?

Post edited by Garance Cordier on

Best Answers

• Chris EllerbyChris Ellerby Los Angeles Admin
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Garance, and welcome!

Your work looks great! 

The content of your portfolio should focus on the job you plan to apply for with it.  Many artists will have multiple portfolios that are tailored to specific job sets.

For dinosaur reference material I don't know any good books, maybe someone else here has a good suggestion, but I just use google image search for most of my reference.  It may take some hunting, but I usually find it offers a wide range of variety.

/Chris
  • Chris EllerbyChris Ellerby Los Angeles Admin
    Accepted Answer
    Showing a wide variety of mediums (zbrush, sketch, sculpting, etc.) is always good if you have each of those skills honed to a professional level.

I would say one of the most important things in a portfolio is that it represents you and your own creative skills while also showing your range.  Often a way to show this is not by having the same characters and creatures as everyone else's portfolio, but including some of your own designs to show your own style and interpretation.   Try and make sure that each piece you put in your portfolio tells a unique story about you that is not told by any of the other pieces.  The individual looking at your portfolio may not have a lot of time to examine every piece, so you need to make sure each piece really shows them something the previous one did not.  In the past when I've had to review large stacks of portfolios I often don't spend more than a minute quickly scanning each one to determine if that person is someone I want to meet with in person or to learn more and review their work more closely.

This is also why artists will often have multiple portfolios tailored to the position/company they are applying for, or for which stage in the interview process they are in.  For example, if you are meeting with someone in person you can have a larger version of your portfolio that shows more pieces, so as discussion happens you can pull up relevant examples.  You would still want your top picks at the front, as there may be people in the room that have not yet seen your work in an earlier interview stage, but having more examples of your work towards the back of your portfolio can be helpful.

Quality over quantity is really important.

/Chris

Answers