SPFX Masks guide.

So I came across this website from some free trial videos on YouTube and decided to check the site out. I was looking for a tutorial on SPFX mask making. I didn't find quite what I was looking for, though maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Even so, I fell in love with all of the things I found on the website and I decided to subscribe and so far, I don't regret it. However, I would still like to find a tutorial on silicon mask making, or at least some tips on the forum. After a few months of research, I feel like I have a good idea what I'll be doing and I'm very eager to start. I am still missing some links in the chain though. I can make a hydro cal positive of myself, sculpt onto it with clay and refine it into how I want the finished product to look, but then the chain ends. I cant find any info on how to take the hole clay sculpt and make a mold for it to pour silicon into. Once I have it, to I pour some into it and rotate it until it's dry? Should I have some kind of "Robs head" insert to place into the mold before adding the silicon? All are questions I need answered before I start any process.

Best Answer

Answers

• Chris,

All of thees tutorials you linked offer me something very helpful to bring to my mask making table. My thanks to you is monumental. Particularly speaking towards the rod puppet guide, that filled in a mass of blanks I had. You where a great help and I finally feel like I am ready to pull my project into its production phase.

Can't thank you enough and thank you again for answering my question so expeditiously. If I have any more questions, I wont hesitate to ask.

/Rob
  • Any time, we're all hear to learn and share!  I hope you can share some photos of your mask here when you are ready.

Best of luck!

/Chris
  • Hi Chris. Could I know what's the procedure for glue the power mesh pieces to make the sock that cover the core in the silicone casting? Thanks. Leo
    P.S. I've posted this comment in another thread but this argument seems more right for my answer

• For mask making, the power mesh is typically slid over the mold core, and becomes encapsulated in silicone when the mask is cast.

/Chris
  • Yes, I know. But, as I've seen in Immortal masks video, the mesh sock was composed by some glued pieces to fit perfectly the head core. How can I do for glue this pieces? This is the only my doubt, than I'm ready to make my first mask. Thanks in advance
  • That I'm not sure of.  The "sock" style reinforcements I've made in the past were either hand stitched or stitched using a zig-zag pattern on a sewing machine so the stitching can stretch as well.  I've not tried gluing the fabric together.

That said, you can temporarily glue your mesh together with anything (like superglue) as long as the seams are not areas you want to be strong.  That will hold things in place long enough to let the silicone encapsulate everything and hold things in place forever.  But those seams will not be points of strength.

I don't know how Immortal masks assembles theirs, but I would love to find out.  Their masks are by far the best I've ever seen, and they work with some amazing sculptors, painters, and technicians.

/Chris
  • Sure Chris, they work amazing. I must realize this concept, a demon by my design. the horns are rigid and will blend into silicone. What do you think about?
  • I think that will change the ears design, too much standard....