Wanting feedback good and bad

Hi I'm jim this is the first class I've watched and participated in. I usually do construction on and of sets. I fell july of 2014 an suffered a brain injury. I became attracted to this website in hopes of having a plan B if I'm told I can't go back to building sets. And if not that's fine to. But I feel I have a talent I never knew I had. Just from sculpting about 10 2" heads 1 Armature and 1 character makeup. 
Post edited by James Miller on

Comments

• Hi James,

Your sculpt is looking great! I'm not a skilled enough sculptor to offer much critique, but it looks like you are off to a fantastic start.  

/Chris
  • Hi James :-)

Thats a great sculpture ;-)

Should it be realistic? Or have you planned to make it funny?

Greets

Kai
  • I'm trying a mix of real and imaginary
  • Like a real version of the old stroy teller from the creepshow comic's. It was a character makeup class but it's my first time sculpting something this size. 
  • I wanna get  into  speed sculpting in hopes of having a future in anything to do with the film business. I did build the sets bet. Now I'm hoping if I had the opportunity to try I'd have the confidence to say ok why not.
  • Kai RottmannKai Rottmann ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hey :-)

For first time doing that size, its really good ;)

I watch classes at SWSCA since march that Year. I am sculpting for some months now.
    The really important essence, which i have breathed in from that classes, are:

1. Look at anatomy/ symmetry/ using reference
    2. Look at proportions
    3. Look at the realistic kind of how the flesh will go and move, when, for example: someone smiles, looking angry, gets older or something like that
    4. "Don`t be fast,... be great" <--- my favorite quote from Jordu Shell
    5. Make things convincing and spend time to it (ears/ earshape, eyes...)
    6. When changing anatomically rules to drastly, the sculpture cant look convincing (like: "Wow, thats great,.. but something is wrong..." <--- beacause everybody knows, how a face have to look like and everybody notice wrong proportions instantly)

I think there are a lot of very good areas, which you have sculpted.
    But some of them are bursted down with wrong proportions or too straight/ wrong directioned wrinkles.

A: anatomy- wrikle direction, fleshmoving

B: proportion/symmetry/ anatomy (Put flesh to that area for symmetry or define a fold hanging down (when that was your plan))

C: proportion/anatomy (livesize human eyes are about 30 mm diameter, variation of +- 3 mm)

D : Cheekbone- anatomy- look at reference of hight. (I think it should be higher, or the eyes more down) (Eyes come half way down in the face. From the chin up to the highest point of the head- small variations)

E: Proportion/ symmetry (put flesh to that area to bring that to the level of the other side)

F: same as E:

G: anatomy- look at reference

H: symmetry/ anatomy- look at reference, skull shapes, put flesh there for symmetry

I: anatomy- build up the back area of the skull (behind and slightly over the ears is the widest part of a human skull- convincing shape- reference)

Very good and convincing areas. Nice fleshy shapes on themselves ;-)

A+ B: Anatomy/ symmetry- reference from skull shapes

C: proportion/ anatomy- reference of earshapes/ ears and placement

D : anatomy- the face looks like "sunken in" / to flat (the human face is almost round, when looking from the top of the face down to the ground and in profile it makes a kind of > shape from the tip of the nose to the chin and the hairline)

E: anatomy/ symmetry- the thin part of the cheekbone comes as same far back as the jaw. Put flesh there to bring the jaw back to the ear

F: Flesh moving/ convincing/ getting older- put flesh there/ under the chin/jaw, hanging down like the flesh on the throat does ;-)

G: Anatomy- i think the eyelid should fall behind the bone structure of the eyeholes. look at reference

So,.. i hope you arent mad to me  :s:)

That critique is that stuff which ive learned an find out by myself, from watching classes and critizice my own sculptures a lot and by critique from friends, hihi.

I think that it is very important to say such things. (I wish someone could analyze my sculptures that way too,.. but nobody has :-(  had to find out my fails for my own... and that takes a lot of time :-( xD )

And: The class from Jordu Shell (Human head anatomy & sculpture) is really really amazing. 
    It has opened my eyes and i am lerning every day in every minute, when i am sculpting.

Go on and have fun with your sculptures :-)

Greets

Kai

• Smh I'd rather people be brutally honest for the most part that way I know what to work on. But I hardly had references besides all the classes I've watched to deal with sculpting. So watching the guy's work and explain helped a great deal.  
  • David BoccabellaDavid Boccabella Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Hi James.
    I feel it would help if you were to tell us how you were injured and in what capacity you are disabled. Brain injury can run from  mental acuity, or lost of fine motor skills, to more.
    Knowing that it would be easier to suggest area's of improvement.
    Wishing you all the best.. :)
    Dave
    Post edited by David Boccabella on
  • update after suggestions
  • I think I'm getting better just need more help. I didn't go off of any references just watched classes and free handed it i guess. I took things I liked from each. Kai helped alot with he's  outside view. I'd like alot more people to comment it only helps me become better and more aware. I'd like more bad news then good lol. Bad keeps me more interested in becoming better at my flaws.
  • I like your sculpt James! I'm looking forward to more progress photos :) I use a mirror to observe the anatomical expressions, it helps allot! ( old trick from the Disney animators ) Keep up the good work!