Homework - Robert Griggs

Hi Robert, 

Please use this forum to post your homework.

Comments

• Robert GriggsRobert Griggs ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I started the sculpt while following along with Jordu. I did in fact have the full skull but to keep up I never bothered with taking pictures. Along the way the facial structure looked like Bruce Campbell to me, so since I wanted to do a bust of him anyway I went with it. I love "Evil Dead II".

Somewhere in the 7-8 hour range with him for these pics. Haven't settled on eye direction yet or even expression. Aiming for "Groovy" in feel. Might try having him look down so he'd be staring at the raised chainsaw for full body display.

Still adding to the back and sides of the head. Just added the ears so they're rough but now I know where to fill out the skull.

He really needs some hair but I've never bothered with hair before as I plan on casting these in silicone for hair punching. I will add it here as the whole piece is an experiment for me.

Post edited by Robert Griggs on
  • Excellent. Not only is it good head anatomy, but you have a very nice likeness going. From the profile, the chin looks just a bit cartoony. I know Bruce Campbell has a massive chin, though. However, I would bring it in just a tiny bit. Fantastic!
    edited November 2015
    Sorry for the lateness. The video was giving me issues and won't let me load it. Part way through I found an image that was close to what I had so I went with the flow. Still working on him as the expression change took it's toll on me. The photos scream out that I need to take down/pull back on his brow and forehead and curve it more towards the hairline. The front on view still works best so far although it hides the forehead/hairline issue. Much more hair needs to be added at this point as it throws everything off proportionally to my reference photos. I also need him to look down more and not so much sideways.. Almost wish I had stuck with my original expression and just did a 2nd one for this one. I will be doing another one for the fierce look I had started with.
  • Still can't get the vid to load. 1st it said too large, so I reduced the rez and trimmed it for time. Now it just says not allowed. Not sure what's going on.
    edited November 2015
    Still correcting areas since I had today off. For this I keep referring to numerous photos of different angles to try to match up feature locations and transitions. I'll also try to match the lighting so I can view how the shadows compare as that is the best way (for me at least) to see if the planes are correct.
    I also take lots of pictures, though photographs of a sculpt can be very deceiving. Something can look right in a photograph but in actuality is very off. If it looks off in the photo that is a definite area I re-examine immediately.

For pictures, (I learned this doing corrections to sculptures involving animated characters) it is imperative that you stand back at least 6-8 feet and zoom in. If you take photographs too close it will distort your sculpture based on the depth perception of the lens.
  • As requested, I am going back in and adding more descriptive notes.
    edited November 2015
    OK, still going strong on him as I've set aside a couple days to dedicate. I'm really getting used to WED clay. I initially hated working with it, mainly due it moving so easily. But it's great for blocking and if you keep your room cold it helps immensely when working on details. 

I have pulled his hairline back and rounded his forehead back towards the hair. The one thing I find I no longer worry about is changing things. When I started sculpting I had a hard time letting go and worried too much that I'd screw it up. It took years to get over that and now I have no fear tearing something down as in my head there is obviously a reason I'm thinking about doing so.

But man, does he have some very distinct facial shapes. Can't wait to go back and do the younger version from Evil Dead II. 

I like that I went with this one 1st though as it will also work for Brisco County Jr. If you've never seen that show I highly recommend it. It's on dvd. Unfortunately they only made 1 season. Boooooo!