Options

3D Sculpting with the Oculus Rift

Check out this augmented reality video of a person using the Oculus Rift to manipulate and sculpt 3d objects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvMouGH2WxQ

Imagine being able to use traditional sculpting tools on a virtual sculpture that you can easily move/rotate/zoom way in on.  The future of digital sculpting is going to be quite interesting.

What do you think the future of digital sculpting will be?

/Chris

Comments

• Options
    Oh.. he was sculpting... With all those perfectly symmetrical limbs I thought he was making balloon animals :wink:

I think it makes a cool YouTube video, but I'm not sure it is very practical. Floating arms and hands are shaky and heavy enough without holding controllers and trying to sculpt.

• Options
    Haha, yeah, it's far from and accurate practical application, but it poses some interesting questions about where digital sculpting could go in the future.

/Chris
  • Options
    occulus rift, want to buy :D
  • Options
    I gave this some more thought and I think I would rather see it go the opposite route. I would like to see 3D scanners be more accessible/affordable. This would allow you to sculpt in any size and still have something physical to work on. You can use all your favorite tools or even just learn to sculpt in clay and not have those tools and experience be wasted when you move into digital.
  • Options
    I wonder how that will be.