Foam Latex Patching

How do you cook a pre-cooked appliance after you've patched with foam?

I've run a large foam latex appliance that has air bubbles and I'd like to patch them with a small batch of foam instead of pros-aide.  I'm just not sure how to back the "patch dabs" of foam that sit on the already cooked appliance.

Would you cook the whole thing at a low temperature (120) for an hour or two?  Would you hit the surface with a hair dryer for a little while?  if so, how long?  Can you think of another way to cook these small dabs of foam without damaging the already cooked appliance?

I know cabo-patch and pros-aide are common solutions but I like the sound of patching with actual foam better.  I just can’t seem to find any info on how to cook the patched areas.

Thanks in advance for any ideas anyone can share.
David

Answers

• David,

This is not something I've done myself.  The few times I've patched foam I just used pros aide and cabosil, which worked great.

In this video https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/tutorials/foam-fabrication-texturing-techniques-tutorial Ted Haines does some texturing techniques with small batches of foam latex that reminds me a bit of how one might patch a piece, though I can't recall if he baked the piece by popping it back into his oven or just using a heat gun.

Do you have any photos of the piece you are working on?

/Chris
  • Thanks Chris. Yeah, I've watched Ted's tutorial which is great.  I actually ended up re-baking the appliance after I cleaned it and patched it and let it sit for a couple days.

Baked it at 100 for about an hour to an hour and a half.  Seems to have done the job.  I think this only worked because my foam run was at about 4 and a half to 5 volumes so I could afford a little stiffening of the appliance through an additional bake.  Not saying it actually did get firmer.  I honestly can't tell.  But I assume that's a possibility going in.

David

• Nice, glad it's working for you!

/Chris