Question, is it possible to work in this industry, ONLY as a sculptor?

The reason I ask is because I am totally happy when I am sculpting.

To get a job as a sculptor in the industry, do you guys have any idea of how awesome of a portfolio one should have? Should an applicant include 10, 15 images?

I will look up individual companies, but I just thought I'd ask you folks first. If you guys have any links to portfolio sites or images that show what a "solid" portfolio looks like that, please share.

P.S. I just saw Jordu Schell painting on NSP Chavant. Awesome! I can't wait to try that.

Comments

• I can't speak to everything, but portfolio sizes for most artists that I've seen are between 8-10 pieces. Remember, it's quality, not quantity in your portfolio. Be very selective as to what you put in it, only selecting your best stuff.
  • Thanks for the feedback Mike!
  • You can totally work just as a sculptor. It would be better and you'd be more of an asset and get more work if you know more than just sculpting, but yes you can. The difficulty is that sculpting jobs are few and far between and most go to the experienced crews and professionals that have been doing it a long time. If you're looking to break into the industry as a sculptor, your chances are very low. If you have and OUTSTANDING portfolio (look at the professionals doing work now and compare yourself to that), then you have a small chance at getting in as just a sculptor. But be open to get in by doing molds, or running foam or other jobs, and work your way up to a sculptor.
  • Alfred, I'm following you on instagram! lol.  What a small world. I go by #projektkreations  Thanks for your feedback, I was hoping a professional (such as yourself) would eventually pop in and tell me about the way things REALLY work in Hollywood.

I made ( IMHOP) a decent alien recently and wanted to airbrush it. I got the base got on the sculpey clay, but then my compressor  (Paasche D500SR) crapped out on me. Its leaking air. I hear that I could just buy some special tape, and even bees wax to seal it up real good to prevent leaks.

Thing is, I don't want to fuss around with my compressor, I just want to turn it on and paint away. So I'm either going to buy a new Iwata top of the line compressor, or buy a whole lotta Monster Clay.  I want to do a kick ass airbrushing job like Casey Love or Jordu Schell, but I also might want to master sculpting first.  I really want to master using the airbrush, as I am mastering sculpting.
  • There's nothing wrong with working towards both goals. I don't consider myself a great painter (even though I've been told that I'm better than I give myself credit for), so I'm working on getting better. I watched the Jordu video as well and learned some things I didn't know about. I'm also lucky in that I've made friends with a lot of these guys and I can just call them up for some advice. I was at Spectral Motion last week to have lunch with Tim Gore and he gave me some great tips on a project I'm painting right now.

Get the better compressor. The time you save in aggravation is far worth the cost of a good compressor. Plus a good will only run you like $200-$300 if you buy one with a 20-50% off coupon (depending on the model you get). I was running my airbrush off of my 15 gallon compressor. That thing was going off every two or three minutes and it's loud as hell!! I switched and got an Iwata (not sure the model), but it's so quiet you barley hear it run. And it only runs when I push air through the brush.

I say invest in yourself and invest in your future.
  • That's fantastic advice!
  • Yes it is. Thanks again Alfred!  I'm gonna get an Iwata compressor very soon.