Busts...

After watching Jordu Schell's Tutorial "

Sculpture Techniques - Miniature Head Sculpting

I thought that I could give it a go.

Now I enjoy sculpting, and am always looking for new ways to improve. I had never sculpted anything like this before, mainly creature's or zombie masks,

so this was a completely new thing for me.

And I have to say I do enjoy using polymer clays.

I made the clothes and Helmet to go with the bust. Can't say I like the naked look so clothes are a must.
The bust is 1:3 scale.

Next is I decided to sculpt my Nana, so using a few sourced photos ( not very good ones unfortunately, best I could lay my hands on)

Again 1:3 scale.
The hair is Ooak hair from a Tibetan lamb. I wanted to get the sculpts to look as real as possible.... Still learning...

And last but no way near least a creature sculpt I did to break up the busts...

Thanks for looking...

Comments

• edited October 2013
    nice work .
  • Very cool. What sort of paint do you use on these?
  • Just standard water colour paints. They are painted before being baked. the eyes and lips get a coating of 5min epoxy to give that wet look.
  • Its interesting that you painted your sculpts before you baked them. I hear Jordu Schell does the same thing.
  • Yes, It was his tutorial (as stated above) that I learned the trick from. It's a great trick, though you have to take care when painting as it is easy to do too much and ruin a sculpt...
  • Fantastic work, can you explain how you attached the hair? And did you cut the limbs of the creature in order to put the clothes on ?
  • With the Creature: No I didn't cut the limbs. I knew that I wanted to clothe it so I sculpted accordingly. The head, legs and arms are attached to a basic body shape, this gave me a limited amount of movement and play with positioning. The parts that wouldn't allow me to put clothing on, (the legs and main torso) I simply used super Glue along the seams where you would normally had sewn. The arms and cloak I was able to dress normally.

The hair I used fume free super glue (foam safe) because it produces no fumes it doesn't leave that ugly white residue you get with standard super glue.
    The hair is attached from the base of the scull to the forehead. (as per Dick Smith wig instructions).

I did a lot of experiments with the hair, including imbedding it into the sculpey before baking. Though it worked, it was slow going and the end result wasn't as good.
  • These are really nice! Love the attention to detail! Great job and can't wait to see more!
  • very realistc sculptures, job welldone!