HOW TO BUILD AN ANIMATRONIC EYE MECHANISM Parts List?

Good Morning All,

For those of you who built this project, could you share the part numbers & suppliers for the hardware? I don't have access to any brick and mortar shops and my only recourse is by mail. Plus, I'd rather not order by trail and error because of cost. Thank you in advance! David

Comments

• Hi David,

What parts are you after?

I built an eye mech based on this lesson and just sourced my own parts and built my design around them. There's no specific parts needed for this project, so most of it you can find at hobby stores online or other online sources.

Thanks,

/Chris
  • Chris,

I am looking for the small linkages for the eyelid mechanisms (they look very small compared to what I normally use). And, if you have one, a source for the 1/4" diameter threaded balls. Our hardware store only has 3/8" which is too big . Have looked online and having no luck. I normally have luck finding parts. But I guess it's been a very long winter and maybe have not fully come out of hibernation!

Thanks!

David
  • edited May 2019
    Here is what I used:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OLSY2G

There may be others on amazon as well.  I had also ordered a different set as a backup, but those are out of stock at the moment (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OLSY2G)

/Chris
  • Thank you! 
  • Thank you! 
  • edited May 2019
    Looking good!

Here's mine in action.  I made a few design changes and used heat set threaded brass inserts on all pieces so they bolt together in a way that is super durable.

I'm working on a new version of this design that moves a few things around, like having the attachment points for the lids on the inside of each eye, so there is more clearance on the outside.

/Chris
  • Chris, That looks great! And heat set threaded brass inserts, you are a fancy man! I thought I was fancy on my last project using rivet nut-serts. Your print is very nice, did you do the acetone fogging thing?
  • I did not do any solvent smoothing on the parts.  I just used higher quality print settings on my Ultimaker and did a little light sanding on a couple parts.  I'm looking forward to doing more parts with the Form 2, both for surface finish and material properties (like flexibility, etc)

/Chris
  • Chris, just wanted to follow up. I've been playing with the printer settings and found good settings for a reliable print. As you said, just a little light sanding. I also downloaded Fusion 360 and am trying to learn. The last time I had experience with 3D software was the first Windows version (Win 98) of Autocads, almost 25 years ago! Damn I'm old.

David
  • Nice!  Getting the print settings dialed in is a big step!  

/Chris