What would you like to learn from the Stan Winston School?

edited January 2018 in General
Here at the Stan Winston School we strive to provide the most comprehensive library of courses for character creation, and our students have always been a driving force in determining our lesson content.

What would you like to learn from the Stan Winston School? 231 votes

Makeup Effects
14%
Kaoime MalloyJosef RarachJulia MelnikSantiago CastroJurine ErweeKayla GordonSara RomeroRonja GassnerAlyssa JohnsonHeather WrightAaron PeerlessStruth NovogratzRaquel DerasNydia LopezShanice L. WadellVári JohannaF. Mihirene widyaShane MorrisonKelsey Deanna 33 votes
Sculpting
25%
Eleftheria PinakoulakiJeff KesingerJason CopeKai RottmannKaren KeaneyThomas BullardLAgalSebastian PottsJason KellerDanijel TeofilovicJeffrey JamesRicky LimonesRose HamelDavid Castro JimenezSally brennanTomo hyakutakeChristopher GardnerScottCarlos MotaHarsh Borah 59 votes
Painting
5%
James WrightJoshua GreenleeAndrew PughRyan WoodsAcademy of MonstersCasey SandersKristina StullerBrenda NoneRobert ThomasStefania MedeirosSarah SpeersChris Nichols 12 votes
Puppets
15%
Matt WinstonJ.R.  De JesùsTimothy ColeChristina CatoChad AmosFreddy StynenKaytlyn CookseyDan CullenJulian GutierrezMark NoneJames CondonDavid WilliamsNicolas BoisselleLeslie A BurwellJonathan CogswellGregory AllenD. Compton AmbroseMegan HillaryMike TooheyAlceo FX Positano 35 votes
Fabrication
10%
Jay RawsonDavid RichmondJoseph HumpstonCarlos GomezKierstin  LapatkaAllie WibleJuan FogalPip SimonMicah J.Jade ConnorRobert RileyChris StolzBecky GottsegenMarcelino NoneJay HensleyElyse CoutureKristine CordyVladimir GeorgievAkkeri CosplayDursun Aslan 25 votes
Mechanical
10%
Anna BobisuthiDavid Boccabellanicholas kaucherJeffrey Warren ParkDavid DeMattiaJustin BakerJoel GoodpasterCyril WichersJohn BortolazzoJack CarderSteve ShumakerGordon MallettNorbert CrispoAkhilRP NoneRichard OliverAaron HollidayQiuyang NoneJason AndersFrancesca FrattaroliBron 25 votes
Other (tell us in the comments!)
18%
Rob BloomBrian CarusoRobert BravoJohn TerebetskyChristopher MoonlightJunior RubioItay BazakEric Felicianomarcelo de oliveiraGilbert EspinoDarren KentRicardo De la Fuente valenzuelaDaniel StibaerKatie PowersJustin AlfaroShaun PatrickRey FearEd PearceKelly MahlerEric Livesay 42 votes

Comments

• Puppets
    I would love to learn how to make the compy puppet or somewhat similar to it.
  • Puppets
    Rod puppets more specifically :) 
  • Mechanical
    I've learned quite a bit from the on-line courses already! I am currently working (prelim stages) on a large Dragon (head & neck base is about 6 1/2'). The smaller movements seem pretty straight forward, but the larger ones are proving to be difficult. I've done quite a bit of it on parade floats and Halloween haunts, but so far everything has been full in & out movement with no subtleties.
    What I'm looking for is actuators (electric and pneumatic) that operate like servos, that can pause at various points. Hydraulics is pretty much out.
    Once that's done, control is the next issue - I don't want a pre-programmed show, but a "puppeteer" to work it reacting to different situations as they arise.
    I don't want much, do I? 
  •  First I would like to mention that every one of the course I have watched, have been AMAZING! Thank you so much for all of the terrific lessons. 
      I am trying to do more with foam latex prosthetics and would be delighted to see more about this. 

• Other (tell us in the comments!)
    Not necessarily learn,  but a model building contest could be cool.
  • Makeup Effects
    Makeup Effects please!
    3d printing 101 with a zbruah emphasis

• I want to learn how to make the rose dragon from woodsplitter lee cross’s you tube site.  
  • Puppets
    I would love to see more about Stop Motion Puppets .
    How to dress up, using clay or latex for face's , more and more .....................
    Well lets say EVERYTHING.
  • Makeup Effects
    Also, full silicone mermaid tails! There are many tutorials on youtube for cheaper versions, but I've been asked by more than 1 person for a tail commission, and it's a little intimidating 
  • I would love to see something about tackling specifically oversized costumes, robots or other and just different techniques on going about the mechanics to still allow a performance build in a way that is going to minimize performer exhaustion and potential injuries. I've found it hard in past research to find what under supports are best vs worst when it comes to physically larger projects. (Think more something like the giant mech robot you guys put together for geek week in 2013)
  • edited April 2018
    Also,  maybe building spaceship models, and how to film them on a budget?  Fon Davis has a great video on building one.  But it would be cool to see how to film them.
    Post edited by John Terebetsky on
  • Fabrication
    I'd love to learn how to make sci-fi starships from found materials. Similar to how Jesse Gee Taught us how to craft Robots.
  • Puppets
    Rod puppets, hero puppets and miniatures. Also, I've worked with clay, but I was wondering what the usual alternatives were because I never could get into clay sculpting (I've made cups, pipes, plates and some other dinner ware however).
  • Mechanical
    Would like to learn animatronics
  • edited April 2018
    I would really like to learn how to build a 
    Telemetry Suit
    similar to the ones that have have been used to puppeteer Johnny 5 in the short circuit movies.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXf5_T978yE
  • Fabrication
    I would love to learn super hero costume creation!
    Cutting and keying a sculpture for moulding, as casey love said would be coming in his creature maquette sculpting class (the monster clay one). Make it happen please! 
  • edited May 2018
    Puppets
    Would love a solid professional blood recipe! 
    Post edited by Jonathan Cogswell on
    yes more silicone stuff like masks/hand/monster gloves would be cool and how to paint with a brush then an air brush because what if your kinda poor and you dont have an air brush haha
  • How to make molds of 4 legged creatures with tails. And make flexible castings. 
  • Puppets
    Since 3D printed faces are becoming very popular for stop motion puppets, it would be great to see a class related to creating faces and/or parts of faces for this process as well as how to add hair to these types of puppets.  Thanks!
    I would like to see some cool air bladder fabrication and application for use in horror makeups etc.
  • edited June 2018
    Fabrication
    If possible, I feel that a lot of people would love to learn about different types of stilts for monster costumes! I would personally love to know more about the Jurassic Park raptor suit's claws and how they were built, how the performer stood and walked in them, and getting really in-depth with the construction of something like that.

There are so many ways to build lots of stilts and platforms in varying shapes and sizes for monsters with claws, hooves, etc, and it would be really handy to see a few of those methods. Showing different processes for both low and high budget monsters would definitely be a HUGE plus, especially for the solo fabricator! <3
    Post edited by Allie Wible on
  • I would love to learn more about complex mold making.  Either 3 or 4 (or more) part molds or matrix molds.  It would be great to see a mold made start to finish on an elaborate sculpture. 
    Thanks so much for all of the great information already!

Hi... You guys, i think i coulden't pick jut one.  I think Stan Winton excel... and want to see more in the future... Makeup Effects, Puppets, Fabrication and Mecanical tutorials. i love the Arduino Tutorials. very unique information.  i just vote for less painting and sculpting. there's much info out there.  do your best... frightening monster suits, awesome makeup sessions, explain more in depth the design of an animatronic, more mecanisms stuff.  Maybe some Character Design and Monster-Creature DesignTheory. thanks. Great Job this place
    a full body letex or silicone suit (one piece)
  • I would love to see vinyl bald cap application