The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Artists

For those of you who are looking to constantly improve what they do, I submit this video. It was shared with me by a very good friend of mine who is one of the top artists in his company.

https://youtu.be/vM39qhXle4g

Comments

• Lot of great tips there!  Reminds me that I need to force myself to work on all my projects a little bit every day rather than waiting for that elusive weekend where I'll finally have time (spoiler alert: it almost never happens!)

I also struggle with the "volume, not perfection" aspect, because part of the joy of creation for me is immersing myself in one thing and striving for perfection.  I find that I learn a lot that way, but it does mean I produce far less creative works than my peers.  Gotta work on that more!

Good stuff!

/Chris
  • @Chris Ellerby Yes, it's easy to slip into habits that seem productive or at least the habit of telling ourselves that we're going to make time, but sometimes it's best to just do a little bit each day. Even if it's just doodles. That's why I started doing ballpoint pen sketches. They're not meant to be anything more than exercises to loosen me up and get the ball rolling. If I tried to start by getting out the paints and the good brushes and all that, I'd spend half my time doing that and the other half trying to decide what the best way to use them would be. With a pen and paper it doesn't matter. You're off to the races.  
  • It's funny, I just saw this today. I feel like the Volume not perfection rule is the biggest one us 3d Artists tend to struggle with the most. I asked Frank Ippolito the other day on one of his live streams how he knows when he has a good stopping point while doing one of his sculpts. He said there's never a stopping point, you can go on forever. That's is so completely true and I wish I realized this a year ago. Going for perfection can literally take forever. I've been so focused on having perfect work in my portfolio I haven't though about the variety. I think it's good to mix it up abit. Have certain projects where we should seek perfection, and other self driven projects that teach us to find proper stopping points.
  • @Frederick SchrammSo true. Really, you just have to keep at it, make sure you're paying attention to what you're doing, learning from it, and trust that (not unlike exercising a muscle) you will get stronger. I've been at the arts for a long time and I can tell you that you'll never be truly happy with your art until you learn to love the process, not the results. It's great to look forward to the artist you will be, but relax and enjoy the art you're making now. That enjoyment will shine through in your work, and that's what will really count.