Options

Student Image Gallery - Share your personal artwork with everyone!

Comments

• Options
    Hey Tom, I always use seat belt webbing or elastic. And attach those materials using safety pins.
  • Options
    Ahh, thanks! 
  • Options

This is a pretty cheap mannequin if interested. I think I'm gonna get it to save some time

http://www.amazon.com/Male-Torso-Body-Mannequin-Form/dp/B0040HFCCA/ref=pd_sim_ac_1

• Options
    be careful Peter it's a half form. No back.
  • Options

Oh shoot, thanks for pointing that out.

• Options
    What is everyone doing for eyes? I have been using taxidermy eyes for puppets cause they look great, but going big isn't an option for those. Just want to avoid having to make from scratch
  • Options
    So Peter it is really really easy to make your own eyes. Just use propoxy 20 or a similar putty epoxy roll them into balls, let it dry, paint and then use the two part clear five minute epoxy and a little butane torch (quickly wavy it over the surface don't hold or the epoxy will burn) to get the glossy look, the heat will make the two part epoxy spread evenly over the eyeball and give it a very glassy look.

• Options
    EYES!!! Another alternative... Wooden balls. That can be purchased from Michaels Art store. Sand down flat on one side. Only as large as the cornea you have designed. Drill shallow hole for pupal, paint ball white, Paint you eye design, then create the corneal bulge using a buildup of 5 minute epoxy or clear glaze. Jolly Glaze is a brand name that can be purchased at most hobby or craft stores.

Good luck! Ted
  • Options

Is the 5 min epoxy clear enough when you use a thick amount? Does it yellow over time?

• Options
    Peter, Yes, it will yellow more over time. The Jolly Glaze is a better alternative. Also, but probably even more difficult to get, is clear dental acrylic. This requires clear dental acrylic powder and monomer, which is the liquid catalyst. I will do some more research on the clear alternatives and post them. And try to include low budget eye making in the third class on Sept 14.
  • Options
    Sounds great. Thanks.
  • Options
    I've got some dental acrylic actually. Gorilla 5 minute seems to work in a pinch, but yeah, it yellows slightly.

found glue. promptly spilled thinner on the floor. holy smokes my workstation stinks...
  • Options
    Working on my caves tonight. Upper body tomorrow. I'm also working on some eye alternative techniques.
  • Options
    Couple more leg shots.
  • Options
    For eyes we used glas bowls or clear plastic baubles that got painted from behind. Sometimes used dark sunglasses billets to paint the iris on then mount them with hot glue or acrylic bond behind the shiney clear acrilic bauble. This makes for a nice anatomically eye, like cats eyes where the outer clear skin of the eye (cornea?) is domed over the iris.

But I love Ted´s tip too. Chris tip with the epoxy is rad too
  • Options
    when using the glue stuff behind the acrylic baubles, its important to make sure the painted iris is really dry otherwise you might trap moisture in between and then there might develop fog/ dew drops inside the eye
  • Options
    Very cool idea!
  • Options
    Hi guys. I was starting to feel a bit behind today- I've just been playing around doing little testers all week, so tonight I bit the bullet and made the tummy. The shape turned out way better than I thought it would. I'm gonna try his head tomorrow, and see what else I can get done. I'll be making a mannequin over the wkend, so I'll tackle the legs then.
    I also did a quick prototype for a hand mech. It took literally 30 mins, with my dad and his garage full of scraps! It's made with plastic plumbing pipe, which can be cut and drilled really easily. I'm trying to think now of how to make a sturdier version- I'm worried the eye hooks will come loose with use, cos the metal might chew away the plastic. And how to put the foam on without disturbing the mech, but that can all be tackled later.
    Everyone's work looks really amazing, seriously impressive stuff. I'll upload some of my own work tomorrow, it's 1.45am here so I better get going!
  • Options
    Ciara, It looks like you're coming along very nicely. And it's ALWAYS a good idea to do tests. I still, with large projects, will take the time to prototype and work out any kinks. Your finger mech looks good, but does need to be stream lined a bit. I'll try to help you out with that this Saturday.
  • Options
    Thanks Ted. Yeah, it really helped to have it worked out in my head before I started cutting. I was thinking with the mech that instead of holding the elastic with eyehooks, I could thread it through holes in the pipe, and knot it on the inside so it lies flat on the outside.
  • Options
    Ciara, Have you watched the richard landon cable mech video? I found that one to be the most usefull for appendages. I was thinking if you can get a large spring you could feed it through the middle joint and secure it to the top and bottom joints for both a return action and possible as the hinge. Just make sure to get bolting eye hooks to secure it to the pvc. I think the elastic will wear out very quickly.
  • Options
    Ciara, if you are going to put the mechanism inside, you must prevent the 'spring' in this case your elastic from slipping below the pivot point on the joint. Otherwise the joint will not return to the extended position. So just turn the eye hooks around so they are inside and change them to smaller eye bolts. something with like a 10mm eye or so.

• Options
    Thanks guys, I'll have a think about that. Chris, I meant that the elastic will be on the outside but a knot on each end inside of the pipe to secure it. I'll maybe put a groove at the joint to keep it in place when the finger bends. I guess I'll try a few ways of doing it.
  • Options

Some test footage from a student film I worked on my senior year in high school.
  • Options
    super!
  • Options
    Looks good Justin. Show us pics of the snake head.
  • Options
    Well here it is! When we constructed Quetzalcoatl, we gave him resin eyes and styrofoam horns. He is foam fabricated, with foam scales on top coated in latex. The mouth had looked more fleshy initially but we had to repaint because the color diffused because we forgot to seal it before putting on another ccoat of latex. And the teeth are made out of sculpy clay.
  • Options
    And here's kinda the basic size we built everything at.
    Quetzalcoatl is on the left.
    The Wendigo is lying on the desks in the middle.
    The Lycan is the one on all fours.
    And the Ahool is the one on the far right.
    I don't have any pictures of the Minotaur or the Beast, sorry.
  • Options
    Justin that is awesome! thanks for posting.
  • Options
    Wow cool work Justin