Options

How to airbrush flex foam-it 17?

edited October 2019 in Costumes & Cosplay
Currently working on a canine costume, the character features a mostly hairless face so I decided to 3D sculpt it, print it, mold it and make a cast with flex foam-it 17 with a resin underskull for extra support and to allow for the jaw to move.
I was planning on using plasti-dip to cover the foam (and smooth out any lines still visible from the 3D print) to prepare it for airbrushing.

I however have never worked with plasti-dip before and have no idea if
1) it will smooth out the tiny print lines or if I should still sand the print first
2) it won't just soak into the foam instead of coating it
3) it will allow the airbrushed paints to not crack
4) it won't dry out and crack over time like latex does without care

Any tips/advice/findings would be more than welcome!
Post edited by Hell Charm on

Comments

• Options
    A lot of my friends in the cosplay world use plasti-dip to seal or even paint EVA foam and have had good results with it.

While some coatings can reduce the appearance of 3D printer lines, my advice is to always prime and sand your parts before molding/casting.  You would be surprised how even after sanding the lines can show up after layer upon layer of paint if you are not super attentive.  

Your airbrush paints cracking or not cracking is not really a function of the plasti-dip.  You need to make sure what ever paints you apply are able to flex as well, or encapsulate them in a surface coat that can flex and keep them from flaking off.

There are a lot of flexible paints out there used in the cosplay world to paint on foam, like "Flexi Paint" or acrylic paints mixed with liquid latex.

How the plasti-dip does over time I am unsure of.  I know a lot of cosplayers that have had their work last for a few years, but they typically retire costumes after that.  

/Chris